Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To crossection or not

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
234 Views, 15 Replies

To crossection or not

Hello everybody,

I just learned that I can exclude components of an assembly from being crossectioned in paperspace. however, when I check the parts that I don't want to crossection, it only works on some parts but not on others.For instance, a vertical column of 15 cartridges in the magazine of a rifle is missing the projectiles even though they are included in modelspace.
In other words, The "bullets" are not only not cut in half, they are entirely missing. Any help would be very much appreciated. Ralf E. Dieckmann
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you post an example?
Message 3 of 16
JDMather

Have you tried opening your assembly in Inventor and creating the section view drawing there?
Can you post what you have so far?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Hello,
I would be glad to post an example. But first I need someone to tell me how that is done. And the other thing is that the assembly contains numerous subassemblies and toolbodies. Will they have to be included or should I localize all the xrefs for the purpose of uploading this file? The assembly file is 2MB. Sincerely, Ralf.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

From the File Menu bar, click on Etransmit. This will create a zip file with all necessary files in it. Then just add that attachment to a reply.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Hello,
This is the file I am having a problem with. To reduce file size, I've removed the magazine housing, the magazine spring, the follower, the floor plate and I reduced the number of cartridges from thirty to four. The staggered double column of cartridges alone demonstrates the problem: when you try to section it using the "BBL VERT CNTR PLNE" and exclude both columns from sectioning, the program removes the projectiles from the cartridge cases of the left column.
Sincerely, Ralf Dieckmann
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

unsuppress sectioning and I think you'll understand
Ray

wrote in message
news:5244969@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello,
This is the file I am having a problem with. To reduce file size, I've
removed the magazine housing, the magazine spring, the follower, the floor
plate and I reduced the number of cartridges from thirty to four. The
staggered double column of cartridges alone demonstrates the problem: when
you try to section it using the "BBL VERT CNTR PLNE" and exclude both
columns from sectioning, the program removes the projectiles from the
cartridge cases of the left column.
Sincerely, Ralf
Dieckmann
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Hello Ray,
Actually, I don't understand. Unsuppressing sectioning is exactly what I don't want. I want MDT to cut all the components of the magazine in half EXCEPT the cartridges.To me this shows that MDT is malfunctioning or that the programmers never considered a case like this. See the attached JPEG for what the whole assembly looks like.
Sincerely, Ralf Dieckmann.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

DID YOU TRY IT?

wrote in message
news:5245078@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello Ray,
Actually, I don't understand. Unsuppressing sectioning is exactly what I
don't want. I want MDT to cut all the components of the magazine in half
EXCEPT the cartridges.To me this shows that MDT is malfunctioning or that
the programmers never considered a case like this. See the attached JPEG for
what the whole assembly looks like.
Sincerely, Ralf Dieckmann.
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Hello Ray,
Yes I tried it. I should have said so. Because the cartridges are vertically shifted by half the diameter of a cartridge and are nested touching each other, each cartridge projects slightly across the cutting plane. So upon sectioning, a sliver of the left cartridge column is visible and the right cartridge column has a sliver removed from it. That doesn't look very good so I wanted to avoid it. Sincerely, Ralf.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

A section view looks at everything to the side of the arrows. And since the section line doesn't go through the Right side of the bullets, it's showing exactly what you are telling it to show, partial view of the casings of the left side of the right hand side set of shells. You could turn off the right hand side set of shells just for the section view and create a new scene with all parts shown.

I see your goal and will try to think of a way to make it work for you. BTW, what version are you using, I opened this File with 2006...oh and what is your location?

Jason
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Here's a thought....see attached jpg
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

And another thought...many options, just depends on what you need to show.
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

And your view isn't "sitting" straight on the to the front of the stack, its off just a little bit to the right....oops, I guess that is on purpose Message was edited by: JStrang because he went and got a clip and looked at it
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Hello Jason,

i'm using MDT 2006 and my location is Prescott Arizona.
It's 12:30 in the morning and I'm going to reply to all tomorrow.
Thank you, Ralf.
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

Hello to everyone who replied to my original question.
After considering everyone's input, it is perfectly clear to me now why sectioning the stack of cartridges will show the cartridge cases but not the projectiles of the left column.
In the meantime I came across some problems of a different nature. See my next post. Thanks, Ralf E. Dieckmann

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report