Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running low on temp disk space

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jstraitiff
363 Views, 8 Replies

Running low on temp disk space

I keep getting the good old "Warning - Running low on temporary disk space" error. How do I change the hard disk that MDT 6 uses as its temp. disk from the C drive to the D drive (where there is plenty of space)?

Mechanical Desktop(R) Power Pack R6 SP3
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: jstraitiff

What O.S.? -- Robert Davis QC/CMM Dept. robert@easmfg.com E.A.S. Manufacturing Co., Inc. 804 Via Alondra Camarillo, Ca 93012 805-987-3665 Voice 805-987-7948 Fax eas@easmfg.com - General E-Mail www.easmfg.com - Web Site "jstraitiff" wrote in message news:15427885.1080655972288.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I keep getting the good old "Warning - Running low on temporary disk space" error. How do I change the hard disk that MDT 6 uses as its temp. disk from the C drive to the D drive (where there is plenty of space)? > > Mechanical Desktop(R) Power Pack R6 SP3
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

First step create a directory on your D drive called AutoDesk temp Open Desktop and go to Assist Options and the files tab Look down the list for Temporary Drawing File Location - hit the plus sign to expand the category. highlight the Temporary Drawing File Location and hit browse, select your directory in D. Highlight the existing temp files directory and remove it You can also do this with the Temp X-ref directory - desktop writes a lot of files to this directory when working on assemblies. Periodically you will want to go to these directories and clear them out. -- David Burton See our Website at http://www.sicoinc.com ---- "jstraitiff" wrote in message news:15427885.1080655972288.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I keep getting the good old "Warning - Running low on temporary disk space" error. How do I change the hard disk that MDT 6 uses as its temp. disk from the C drive to the D drive (where there is plenty of space)? > > Mechanical Desktop(R) Power Pack R6 SP3
Message 4 of 9
jstraitiff

NT
Message 5 of 9
jstraitiff

Already have the temp drawing file location and the temp x-ref dir. set to the D drive and it didn't help.

Thanks.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

If your talking about your pagefile.. Go to Control Panel, System. I don't have NT installed anymore, but it should be the advanced tab or one of the tabs. Your looking for performance or memory or something to that effect. Change your initial pagefile to D and set your min and max values to the same value to minimize fragmentation. Set the value to 3x your RAM. -- Robert Davis QC/CMM Dept. robert@easmfg.com E.A.S. Manufacturing Co., Inc. 804 Via Alondra Camarillo, Ca 93012 805-987-3665 Voice 805-987-7948 Fax eas@easmfg.com - General E-Mail www.easmfg.com - Web Site "jstraitiff" wrote in message news:31872343.1080829245882.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > NT
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Sorry, when you asked where MDT keeps the files I assumed you meant the MDT temp directories. If you haven't already done so, before you re-assign your temp directories either get an upgrade to Win 2000 pro or XP pro or get a good de-frag program for NT and de-frag the drives. MDT and NT are a bad combo when it comes to mucking up a hard drive. I have a separate drive that holds nothing but the page file (virtual memory) and all the temp directories for Win 2000 and all my applications - When the day starts it looks nearly empty but because I clear it out regularly, it keeps a pretty fast access time and my main partition doesn't fragment much -- David Burton See our Website at http://www.sicoinc.com ---- "jstraitiff" wrote in message news:27483291.1080829318320.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Already have the temp drawing file location and the temp x-ref dir. set to the D drive and it didn't help. > > Thanks.
Message 8 of 9
cadsysmgr

Just some ideas for you since I still have many MDT6 users on Win NT SP6a. All the MDT6 users are at MDT SP4 with the Assembly.arx fix. I see you are still ast SP3.

I have 2 folders on their D:\drives. One I called Dump and is the temp folder. The second is Tmpdwg for the X-ref Assembly stuff. Just two names I picked nothing magic about them.

On the C:\drive I have a Pagefile.sys set to 256/256 and the D:\ drive holds the main Pagefile.sys of usually 1024/1024.

In all cases the MDT installation is also on the D:\.

The PC's use 256 and 512 Mbytes and most all are P3's using Elsa or nVidia cards with 32 to 64 Mbytes ram.

I have not yet seen your problem on these units with MDT 6.

Parts designed can range from simple sheetmetal shapes to highly complicated Die and Perm. Mold Castings. and all the drawing documentation sheets are in these part model files Also designs of glass prismatic parts.

All these same type of parts are used in Assemblies (External Referenced) up to 75 to 125 parts with all Exploded Assembly documentation in these Assemblies.
Message 9 of 9
cadsysmgr

Entered the reply to soon.

All the PC's are running Executive Software's Diskeeper 7 set on Smart Scheduling. You must exclude from defrag the Dump and Tmpdwg folders however.

Al users daily remove Temp Internet files and weekly keep their C:\Temp folder clean.

There is also another space eater. under the Windows NT Profile for the user. In the Application Data folder for AutoDesk is a Recent folder. Clean this out also. You will probably have to turn on Hidden files in Explorer to see this folder however.

Also all NT machines have Microsoft Update notice active and are kept up to date.

Also the users have local admin level rights.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report