Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Visual C++ Runtime Error in ACAD

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
conny
1691 Views, 12 Replies

MS Visual C++ Runtime Error in ACAD

Hello
Please help, we have been using Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2004 DX for 2 years and only about 3 months ago started getting this error message.

MS Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Programs\C:\Program Files\Autodesk\MDT2004DX\acad.exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way...

Usually happpens when I open a larger drawing in AutoCAD. Sometimes I have AutoCAD and Inventor open and it will happen too. Then after the error message, it shuts everything down and I have to restart.

We did not change anything 3 months ago that I know of.

This was happening on an older computer. I bought a new one and installed CAD new and everything and same thing is happening (prob similar drawings are being opened.)

Help!

Is Mike Dickason there from Autodesk? You seem to have answered many similar questions but I cannot find the answer to mine.

I cannot reproduce the error, it sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't. But seems to be when I open larger files. But I have lots of memory so not sure what it is.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: conny

When this problem occurs, do you get the crash report dialog? If so please
send in a report with your email address in the appropriate field and then
post back here and let me know what email address to look for. With the
report we might be able to determine what is going wrong.

--
Mike Dickason
Developer
Manufacturing Solutions Division
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 13
conny

Hello Mike
Thank you for your reply.

The error just happened again and I did not see a button or any prompt for a crash report dialog. Only an OK button on the pop-up error message that will shut down the file and I have to re-open it. If there is somewhere else to retrieve this crash report dialog, please let me know.

Today it happened in the middle of using 1 drawing (no other program opened, no other drawing opened). Every other time it has happened when I try to open an additional drawing (already 1 or more open).

It seems to happen when we open our larger drawing files. By larger, I mean about 1500 KB which doesn't seem very big to me. So today only 1500 KB, other times, maybe I have max total 5000 KB open (or trying to open)?

I have a new Dell (purchased because of the this error message and also wanted to re-install Autodesk completely) with Dual Core, 2G dual ram 533 Mz, XP. This was happening on my old Dell computer P4, 1 G ram, XP too. Error started a few months ago - there were no new software or changes to computer, but critical updates from autodesk and microsoft have been downloaded periodically - but cannot remember what was updated when this error started.

Seems to be a problem with memory or handling these larger files? It is very frustrating as we are using this larger assembly drawing everyday and it crashes basically every time we use it, multiple times during the day.

If you would like to take this offline, please email me at conny@accessv.com. Thank you in advance.

Conny
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Conny,

At the command prompt type AMVER and report back here with the output.

Also, check the REPORTERROR sysvar and make sure that it is set to 1.

--
Mike Dickason
Developer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 13
conny

Hello Mike

I typed AMVER in the CAD command prompt line and it did not recognize it. Nothing came up (Unknown Command, press F1 for help".

I typed REPORTERROR and it is set to 1 already

?
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Conny,

If AMVER isn't a recognized command, then it sounds like you are running
vanilla AutoCAD and Mechanical Desktop isn't being loaded. Please make sure
to select the icon for Mechanical Desktop when launching the product, then
try AMVER.

--
Mike Dickason
Developer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 13
conny

I forgot to specify we have Autodesk Inventor Series 8. We always just use AutoCAD so yo'ure right it is vanilla.

I selected Mech Desktop and got the AMVER message. See word doc attached.

Please let me know next step. Thank you
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

The word doc referes to 2D AutoCAD Mechanical.... You need to launch
Mechanial Desktop from All Programs > Autodesk > Mechanical Desktop.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, AICE, MICE
260-312-6188
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
Inventor 11 Professional SP2
HP Pavillion Zv5000 (Modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows Classic Theme
http://www.design-excellence.com
wrote in message news:5498155@discussion.autodesk.com...
I forgot to specify we have Autodesk Inventor Series 8. We always just use
AutoCAD so yo'ure right it is vanilla.

I selected Mech Desktop and got the AMVER message. See word doc attached.

Please let me know next step. Thank you
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

You're missing a hotfix.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=4782466&linkID=4183232

When your 2004DX install is up-to-date AMVER will report "AutoCAD(R)
Mechanical 2004 DX SP2.1". After applying the hotfix, I would be
interested in knowing if you get the same crash opening the large drawing
using ACM or MDT.

--
Mike Dickason
Developer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 13
conny

I opened it again through Start All Programs and same AMVER "loading mechanical modules..." result.

I chose both All Programs --> Autodesk--> Mech Desktop 2004 DX. and even tried AutoCAD Mech 2004 and same message.

?
Message 11 of 13
conny

Sorry, you were right, there is a difference.
Everything same, EXCEPT, last line is:
"Mechanical Desktop(R) 2004 DX SP2"

And I am downloading the Hotfix now and report back. (I am on dialup so will write back in 1.5h)

PS - do you think this would also cause printing errors because I am having a heck of a time with plotting the last 2 weeks (this runtime happened the last 3 months) now. I thought it was something little between the network (only ethernet hub, not server), HP plotter settings, and AutoCAD. It used to work fine (just slow), but now it is random. Sometimes it plots, sometimes it doesn't (can't isolate it to plotter, file, network - sometimes same file will print, sometimes doesn't.

Thank you both.
Message 12 of 13
conny

Thank you for your help.

I have seen this hotfix there before but did not think the description matched my problem. Thanks for matching me up to it.

I installed the hotfix (I can delete the extracted files now right?) and restarted the computers. They both show SP2.1. It seems to have helped on 1 computer and not totally on the other.

On the new 2 GB RAM computer, I opened 12 x 1500KB CAD drawings and it did not cause the Runtime Error. I did not open more drawings to test the limit.

However on the older 1 GB RAM computer, when I tried to open the 4th x 1500 KB drawing, I got the same Runtime Error (although I used to get it only after 2 drawings). And now it is followed by 2 subsequent pop up windows after the runtime error popup.

One is AutoCAD: Unable to load catalog file "C:\.....\Mech Desktop 2004 DX\R16.0\enu\Support\ToolPalette\AcTpCatalog.atc."

The other one is similar but the path ends with "...\Support\RegisteredTools\AcTpTools.atc."

Is that because it is unable to open the next drawing so is just saying it can't open these files (although I never used to get it) or is this related to the hotfix?

Now I just have to get my HP plotter that only started giving problems when I ethernet hub networked this new computer to the old one, to work and I'll be happy!
Message 13 of 13
conny

Got the same Runtime Error on the new computer today after opening up 2 drawings, so it is definitely not fixed. Any other suggestions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report