Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating setitings from 2011 to 2012

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mikes
603 Views, 5 Replies

migrating setitings from 2011 to 2012

I'm sure this has been asked too many times, but I'm doing it again.  Our company is just about to upgrade from Autocad Mechanical 2011 to 2012 and we are not clear on making sure everyone gets to keep their screens looking the same.  Basically, we all want the drawing layout screens to look exactly like they do now ... same toolbars, pulldowns, locations for everything, etc. I've poked around in the Custom User Interface dialogue box and read over the help menu on it, however, it's still confusing.  Do we have to manually pick and choose every item to save and then reload them when the new version starts up?  Or can we just save all current settings to one file as a group?  If we have to do it individually, how do we know which ones to save?

Maybe we are missing something and this is easier than it seems?? 

Any insight available is apprecriated. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Sridhar-Autodesk
in reply to: mikes

Hi, Mikes

You may try following steps:

1. Open AutoCAD Mechanical 2011
2. command workspace>>SaveAS>>Save the current workspace with any name
3. Close AutoCAD Mechanical 2011
4. Launch Windows Explorer>>Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<user login name>\application data\autodesk\autocad mechanical 2011\r18.1\enu\acadm\ and copy acadm.cuix file
5. Switch to the machine where AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 is installed
6. Close AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 if it is open.
7. Launch Windows Explorer>>Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<user login name>\application data\autodesk\autocad mechanical 2012\r18.2\enu\acadm\

(Vista and Win7:  C:\Users\<<User login name>>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Mechanical 2012\R18.2\enu\Acadm
8. Rename existing acadm.cuix file to acadm_2012.cuix
9. Paste the acadm.cuix file that was copied in step-4
10. Launch AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 and verify if all settings are migrated.

Note: New customizations wrt to AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 will not be seen once we follow above steps.

In the future, you may want to post all AutoCAD Mechanical issues here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Mechanical/bd-p/39

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 3 of 6
dbounds01

Autodesk Mechanical Desktop is not Autocad Mechanical. 2 different animals altogether!
Message 4 of 6
mikes

dbounds01,

What does your response mean? 

Mike

Message 5 of 6
dbounds01

They are 2 different programs, autocad mechanical is AutoCAD with Mechanical symbols etc.

Mechanical Desktop is a retired 3D Parametric solids program.  Inventor took over Mechanical Desktop.

Thats all.

Message 6 of 6
dbounds01
in reply to: dbounds01

OH i forgot to say since this is the Autodesk Mechanical Desktop forum and not the AutoCAD Mechanical, I thought people might get the settings mixed up. 

This is off topic but all the AutoCAD's (electrical, mechanical, P&ID.......... and the rest) are just AutoCAD with different menus and pretend parametrics.   But in the 26 years of using AutoCAD, I think Autodesk failed on this point.  Just use Inventor (which is great for the price point) if you want to do parametric 3D stuff.

But in the end it is really what the user likes and what they can do with it. (and how much money you have).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report