Mechanical Desktop

Mechanical Desktop

*Werben Robert Davis
Message 61 of 93 (441 Views)

Re: Announcement concerning Discontinuation of Mechanical Desktop

12-03-2008 10:36 AM in reply to: sjbosley
> Your insulting, offensive reply deserves no comment ...

Then I won't read it.
*Werben Robert Davis
Message 62 of 93 (441 Views)

12-03-2008 10:36 AM in reply to: sjbosley
> (see attachment: ng_discussion.zip)

You might also try
Erich Blohm http://specialstructures.net/
regarding his opinion.

There was once a discussion on board about a very interesting
articulated Helicoid double helix sculpture they did and IVs
suitability for similar projects. It would, indeed, be
interesting to hear what they think today.
Active Contributor
coviepresb1647
Message 63 of 93 (443 Views)

12-03-2008 10:46 AM in reply to: sjbosley
That's agreeable. I've nothing more to say to you and have disregarded further replies from you (except this reply from you and any future penitent reply).
Active Contributor
coviepresb1647
Message 64 of 93 (443 Views)

12-03-2008 10:50 AM in reply to: sjbosley
I've changed my mind. I may regard further non-penitential reply from you, but in light of your insults, that's not guaranteed.
*Aug
Message 65 of 93 (443 Views)

12-04-2008 05:54 AM in reply to: sjbosley

I have tried to reply not meaning to be offensive
to anyone,....speaking purely from factual past experience. If I offended anyone
I apologize.

I am surprised that a US defense contractor has
been able to implement IV in their work as from my experience the US government
required submitted drawings to be in Acad format to their layer
conventions.

Have a great day anyway,

Aug the Marauder PIA
Contributor
ecrookston
Message 66 of 93 (443 Views)

12-02-2009 05:25 AM in reply to: sjbosley
My recent Autodesk experience prompted me to write this letter. We were on subscription for many years until the discontinuation of Mechanical Desktop on October 7, 2008. We never asked for, switched to, or purchased Inventor for any reason at our company. Going back, I remember when Autodesk was sticking Inventor trial disks in MDT boxes. Inventor was not designed to operate with DWG, initially. I come from a legacy of AutoCAD, switching to MDT when it was a new product from Genius adopted by Autodesk. Our company still uses MDT. We have a hybrid MDT, AutoCAD, Rhinoceros CAD system here that works seamlessly. Rhino operates much like AutoCAD and does a wonderful job with Nurbs surfaces. It was less than $1000 and installs in about one minute. Moving on. I recently replaced my computer and loaded Inventor 2010 (by the way is it Autodesk Inventor or AutoCAD Inventor? you guys are confusing us) and activated it. I then installed MDT2009. I had to request the DVD media. INV2009 came with a post card that said "Looking for Mechanical Desktop"? After another hour of looking at the same 6 rotating Autodesk install photos, I tried to activate MDT2009. It won't activate. So I email the request code to Autodesk using the contact link. It took no less than four hours of back and forth emails and phone calls before someone would activate MDT2009 for me. I have a letter from October 7, 2008 that says despite anything to the contrary in our Subscription terms and conditions or our license agreement(s), Autodesk will allow customers the right to continue using earlier versions of Mechanical Desktop with Inventor releases. Apparently the folks in the activation department do not understand this. I have in writing denials to activate my MDT2009 telling me I must remove it and I'm violating the license agreement. The serial number comes from INV2010 and the request code comes from MDT2009. Good luck activating your MDT2009 in the future. Unbelievable.
*Wm.J.Townsend
Message 67 of 93 (443 Views)

12-02-2009 03:00 PM in reply to: sjbosley
There is an updated MDT 2009 for installation with Inv2010. Haven't
looked for it myself so I don't know if it comes from your dealer of is
available as a download. -Bill

"ecrookston@chestnutridgefoam.com" wrote:

> Unbelievable.

--
Wm.J.Townsend (c)2009
Contributor
sjbosley
Message 68 of 93 (443 Views)

12-03-2009 09:33 AM in reply to: sjbosley
I’m sorry that we made it so difficult to activate your copy of MDT 2009. Clearly you should not have been exposed to this additional effort to activate the software. I am conducting an internal investigation to understand what went wrong and will put in place remedies to correct the problems which led to this unfortunate experience.

Sincerely
Simon Bosley
Business Programs Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Contributor
ecrookston
Message 69 of 93 (443 Views)

12-03-2009 09:46 AM in reply to: sjbosley
Thank you Simon, this will help myself as welll as others in the future.

Problems are one thing, solving them is another. You are a good man for stepping up.
Active Contributor
3NorthWave
Message 70 of 93 (443 Views)

12-03-2009 12:31 PM in reply to: sjbosley
Dear Mr. Bosley,

Thanks for your time on this matter.

Autodesk's announcement of discontinuing MDT seems a bit confusing. In one paragraph they state they will support MDT for three years, then in the next paragraph they say they will continue to make MDT 2009 downloads available with future releases of Inventor. The latter paragraph seems to give me hope we'll be able to continue using MDT 2009 for more than just three years.

Can you clearly explain what exactly will happen with MDT 2009, in terms of a definite date when we MDT users will simply not be able to run the software. I'm assuming if we never upgraded to a newer version of Inventor, we could continue running MDT 2009 forever...correct?

I agree with all the other loyal MDT users. MDT is too good to not have in my arsenal of tools...that simply doesn't make sense. Are all the very intelligent folks at Autodesk claiming there would be no way to market or rake in more revenue by keeping MDT on the roster as a stand alone product? Look at all the products on Autodesk's list...I can't believe MDT is so bad or such a money loser that you have to cross it off that huge list.
You know you've got a loyal MDT user base willing to pay money in order to continue using that fabulous product. Please advise Autodesk to re-think their strategy regarding MDT. You don't need to put any more time or effort into MDT, so therefore Autodesk should have no overhead with MDT, just income from those of us who WANT to use it. I will pay for the right to continue using it. IT'S THAT GOOD.

I've taken some time to try and learn Inventor and so far I'm finding, for the design and layout work I'm asked to do, MDT is less complicated and more efficient. I prefer to keep my file count as low as possible and the vast majority of the projects I work on can be handled easily with one or maybe two MDT files. Everything I need from the large 3D plant layouts to the 2D detail drawing of the smallest part all neatly contained in a couple of very manageable files. MDT is way too good to let go, way too good.
Also, having my very good friend "Autocad" quietly waiting behind the scenes to help me out whenever I need it, while in an MDT file, is also incredibly beneficial. Again, MDT is just way to good, I want it forever.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,
3NorthWave
Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.