Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MentalRay error in opening texture file (.jpg)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
2576 Views, 1 Reply

MentalRay error in opening texture file (.jpg)

I assigned a jpeg file as texture to a polygon. It displays ok, but when i render using MentalRay getting error : error opening texture file.
can't find what's wrong. Any suggestion most appreciated.
------------------------------------------------
1. I am using MAC OSX 10.6.3

2. The error message is :
// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : while defining texture "file3:tex": failed to open texture file /Volumes/BigDisk 1/Johan Projects/Autodesk MAYA projects/Boy and Dog/images/DenJoII.jpg

3. The problem : I have no "BigDisk 1", I have a disk labeled "BigDisk". So it seems that MentalRay adds a "1" to the volume name, and then of course can't open the texture file as this volume does not exist.

Can anybody please tell me what is causing this?

thanks.
---------------------------------------------------
Second update

getting following error messages :
Maya Fur Renderer: Creating equalizer map for surface 'chevelureShape'
==========================================================================
Maya Fur Renderer
==========================================================================
// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : while defining texture "file3:tex": failed to open texture file /Volumes/BigDisk/Johan Projects/Autodesk MAYA projects/Boy and Dog/images/DenJoII.jpg
//
// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : while defining texture "file3:tex": failed to open texture file /Volumes/BigDisk/Johan Projects/Autodesk MAYA projects/Boy and Dog/images/DenJoII.jpg
//
//
//

So, I could get rid of the added "1" in my volume name, but sadly mentalray can't still locate the file. Rendering works with Maya Software and the scene displays ok, it's just mentalray that can't find a file that is there.

In another simple scene : used the 3DPaintTool to paint on a surface. Maya Soft render OK. MentalRay can't open the tif files although the file location and names are correct. I am using two external disk drives. The texture files are on the second external drive. I know that there have been some problems with multiple external disk drives, but this should be solved in OSX 10.6.3.

Tried the obvious alternative to move the texture file to another location. Moved the jpeg file to my desktop with following result :
// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : while defining texture "file1:tex": failed to open texture file /Users/johanstalpaert/Desktop/trattoriaII.jpg
//
// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : while defining texture "file1:tex": failed to open texture file /Users/johanstalpaert/Desktop/trattoriaII.jpg
//

Could anyone PLEASE help me out ? Answer : NO
I am under the impression that this forum is just a black hole that absorbs all the problems people encounter and ... never sends anything back.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
shulow
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, I suspect your file is corrupted (due possibly to Maya/MR crashing).

Did you have a crash before you encountered this problem?

I had the same error about failing to open texture file AFTER my Maya/MR crash on rendering. I then tried to open that file with Photoshop and Photoshop couldn't open the file saying that it "could not complete your request because an invalid jpeg marker is found". Have you tried opening that texture file with photoshop?

I think when mental ray crashed (and maya crashed), it corrupted my jpeg file. It may have placed a lock on it and left it there (just a guess). So subsequently it cannot open the texture file since it has become corrupted.

When i replaced the file with another one that Photoshop could open, it was fine. There wasn't such failure to open texture file error.

Hope this helps in some way still ... (I realize your post is last year!)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report