Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: (Mayatomr.Shader) : mia_material1SG: no shader assigned in material

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
5725 Views, 12 Replies

Error: (Mayatomr.Shader) : mia_material1SG: no shader assigned in material

So I have been trying to render glass in my bar scene and the glass doesn't render properly and I get Error: (Mayatomr.Shader) : mia_material1SG: no shader assigned in material

All I did was apply the mia_material and use the solid glass preset

anyone know this problem?

I was using maya 2010 then switched to 2011 to see if the problem would change but I got the same problem even if I created a new scene altogether.

maya2011

maya 2010 -> http://i.imgur.com/h2pzU.jpg
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
valenRedBull
in reply to: Anonymous

I think your material lost is connections with its shading group somehow. Select your material in the Hypershade and then choose "Graph" --> "Input and output connections". After doing this Hypershade should show your material, and its shading group. If you still only see your material then it is no longer assigned to the shading group.

If you don't have any special custom settings in your material, then it would be easiest to just delete the material, recreate a new one, and assign that to your model.

Otherwise, if your shading group still exists then you can find it in the Shading Groups tab of the Hypershade. Access the properties of the shading group and find the tabs "mental ray" --> "Custom Shaders" and middle-click drag your mia glass material into the "Material Shader", "Shadow Shader", and "Photon Shader" slots.

If this doesn't work then can you zip and upload your Maya scene here?
Message 3 of 13
valenRedBull

Here is a screenshot of the shader setup:

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: valenRedBull

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UUV0BU49 I took the whine glass and put it into a simple scene from the Maya 2010 version everything to me seems to match your screen shot but the render results still seem to show off a black crystal look
Message 5 of 13
valenRedBull

Thanks for uploading your scene. You are right - your shader is set up just fine. What you need to do is access the "Raytracing" tab within the "Quality" tab of your render setup. Increase the Reflections, Refractions, and Max Trace Depth so that mental ray can do more than 1 pass for calculating.

Choose the "Production" quality preset and you'll see how it automatically increases those values. You're render times will increase, but it will look much better.
Message 6 of 13
valenRedBull

This doesn't explain your original problem though so I think there was initially a problem with the shading group setup. But the file you uploaded did not have that problem and I did not get any error messages about the Shading Group like you were originally getting.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

http://i.imgur.com/ARAPC.jpg

here is what I get when I max out the ray tracing

would my computer specs have anything to do with the discoloration? I'm running 3gbs of ram 2.67ghz i7 core

I dont know why there were 4 reposts
Message 8 of 13
valenRedBull

By "discoloration" are you referring to the blue tint in the glass? To fix that, find the "Color" control in the "Refraction" setting of the material and set it to white.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

okay got it how do I go about making the black rim go away?
Message 10 of 13
valenRedBull

The black rim is just a reflection from the environment around the glass. I see you had a checker material assigned to the surface that the glass is sitting on. But your two directional lights are exaclty horizontal to that surface so it will receive zero illumination. If you rotate one of the directional lights to face towards that surface then it will illuminate the checker material and then it will show up in the reflections in the glass.
Message 11 of 13
valenRedBull

Here's what it looks like after rotating the directional light...

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

actually that black rim will show no matter what the background is but I figured out how to change the color to make it less noticeable thanks for the help
Message 13 of 13
valenRedBull

If you see black in the glass, then it is either being reflected or refracted from the environment. If you change your checker material from black and white to red and white, then you will see red in the glass instead of black. Also, you have two directional lights inside the sphere that surrounds your scene. These lights are not pointed towards all areas of the sphere, so part of the sphere will be black. This black will also show in the glass.

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish with this scene, there may be better ways to light it than using just directional lights. I'd be happy to help you with that if you like.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report