Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dent in Model !

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
correobasura9000
5626 Views, 14 Replies

Dent in Model !

Hi all,

So I've run into an issue with my most recent model. I've been following a tutorial exactly step by step, to ensure the topology was perfectly fine (which it seems to be), but it appears there's a large dent in my model. The tutorial doesn't appear to show this problem, which is why it's stumped me.

I'm almost certain that it has something to do with "OpenSubdiv". Earlier in the modelling process I encountered this message when extruding edges:

"// Warning: OpenSubdiv gets different edge topology to Maya poly."

Not knowing what it meant, I created a restore point and continued modelling. It appears that decision was a bad one, as I don't know how to get around it.

If I were to go back to the restore point and try again, is there any advice anyone could give to avoid this problem? I've attached a picture of the dent if it helps.

Many Thanks,

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
damaggio
in reply to: correobasura9000

Hi, go into that area and check to see if you have unmerged vertices, faces inside the mesh or Ngons.

Message 3 of 15
damaggio
in reply to: damaggio

or simply if one vertice got moved out of position just realign with the mesh again.
Message 4 of 15
correobasura9000

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like that's the problem. All the verts are merged, and there are no faces inside the mesh. I've done a mesh cleanup with no fixes either. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 15
damaggio

without a wireframe of the mesh is hard to judge, you can also upload a zip of the scene file here.

Message 6 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

There might be some errors that Mesh Cleanup can't solve. To detect some of them use Mesh Component Display -> Display Borders. An example from an other thread:

edge_corrupt.gif

Of course, a scene-file upload is the easiest way to get help.

Message 7 of 15
correobasura9000

Okay ! You make a good point haha. I've attached a zip file containing the file itself. The dent is on both sides of the nose, as I added symmetry. 

P.S - Excuse the disgusting cheek bone. I'm experimenting with some alien-like face shapes at the moment Smiley Very Happy

If i can get this fixed I'll be hella grateful !! Kudos to you both !

EDIT: Also the vert is pointing out of the face. That should show you which one it is. You'd think moving it in line with the rest of the mesh would fix this, but it doesn't.

Message 8 of 15
damaggio

First, you need to delete History constantly or you might loose your entire scene.

Second, something was wrong with the 2 faces near nose, just delete them and rebuild...some of your vertices could be gently rearranged, they are either jumping out of the mesh too much or going inward causing non planar surfaces that go too far.

I could not find where the problem was coming from when it was subdivided, it may be the topology is not the ideal, but is okay for now, you are learning along.

Best to you Correo.

Message 9 of 15
correobasura9000

You absolute legend ! This actually worked!! I'm so grateful someone could actually fix this ! Thanks a lot dude !! Props to you Smiley Happy

Kudos all around !

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

am facing same prob,

Message 11 of 15
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

specifics?....

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

// Warning: OpenSubdiv gets different edge topology to Maya poly
// Error: Sculpting cannot be performed on non-manifold geometry. Perform a
mesh cleanup before using the sculpting tools.

Dealing with these two errors
cleaned up mesh still suffering
Message 13 of 15
damaggio

Your picture didn't load up.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

here you go
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

here are screenshots

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report