Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean Difference problem

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
8570 Views, 10 Replies

Boolean Difference problem

Hi

I was trying out a screwdriver tutorial in Maya 2011 but when I get to the part where it asks to perform boolean difference to subtract part of the model it works first time but both parts vanish when trying to subtract a second part. Im doing the tutorial to learn ways of doing precisely this function where I can cut and alter models but no matter what i try it does not work. The tutorial link is below, I have a handle with one part subtracted and the screwdriver blade subtracted on one side only.

http://www.creativecrash.com/tutorials/how-to-model-a-screwdriver-and-render-it-with-mental-ray/page...

I have tried deleting histories and increasing scales but to no avail, its all very frustrating.

cheers

ID-Dis
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I also tried average normals as I read this online as a solution somewhere (not sure what this does though)
Message 3 of 11
n8skow

Try moving one of the objects very slightly before performing your boolean.
Your probably better off manually modeling the object your trying to make though.

Booleans are a finicky beast...
Message 4 of 11
halfstone

I find that booleans in Maya grow more unreliable as your model gets more complex; as your list of operations on any given surface grows, even if you delete your construction history and model very carefully, what you describe happens more and more frequently.

That said, I don't like the way that screwdriver is modeled. I think it is better to model one section of the piece, create a simple boolean using quadrangular geometry, insert edge loops where necessary to "protect" your edges, then duplicate that piece radially.

I'm attaching a simple tutorial on the process for you - this tutorial is for modeling a fluted column, but the shapes can easily be adapted to make the screwdriver in the tutorial you are following.

creating_a_fluted_column_in_maya_1.pdf

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Booleans are crap! Especially if you need to smooth your object. If you're not smoothing, then it usually works out, but if you want to, then you have to make sure that all the surrounding edges meet up with the edges of your boolean so you can merge the verts.

Really though, I find that it's more trouble than just modeling in that detail you want.
Message 6 of 11
Numerator

Very simple boolean operations cause problems in Maya. Sometimes the model disappears and an error is listed in script editor window

// Error: Cannot perform boolean operation //

sometimes Maya crashes to the desktop.

The lighting stops being smooth shaded and is faceted after the boolean union operation too.
Message 7 of 11
Anifex09

Boolean is good for Nurb surfaces but not for poly surfaces.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

there was a very similar tutorial for modeling a collumn in last months 3D World mag. Maybe that can help.
Message 9 of 11
Regele IONESCU

Hi,

I am doing some hard modelling. Here is what I found, after many crashes and restarts:

1 - Delete all vertices that are not connected(switch to vertices, select all, hit delete);
2 - Check for holes in your poly model and close them;
3 - Check for normals: all should be outward, on both objects;
4 - Freeze transforms on both objects
5 - Delete history on both objects
6 - After each and every boolean operation go to step 1;

Not all steps are always necessary, but you should try them one by one.
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Thats, this thread has really helped me out. I've been having so much trouble with this it is so frustrating. But this has really aided my progress.
Message 11 of 11
Regele IONESCU

I just tried booleans in Blender 2.5 . Amazingly, it does much better, no crashes and objects do not vanish into thin air.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report