Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bend deformers no longer working

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
blawsonhull
5394 Views, 6 Replies

Bend deformers no longer working

my bend deformers do not work at all since updating to 2017.  i mean they do absolutely nothing, regardless of the density or simplicity of the shape, i can change the size of the deformer and shape of it, but the model that should be deforming does not react, except that sometimes part of it will turn black, then back to regular normals as i move the deformer around.

but models no longer actually bend even 1 degree in any direction, it's as though the deformer has forgot how to attach itself to a shape.

anyone seen this happen?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
damaggio
in reply to: blawsonhull

No problems on windows here, are you on Mac.?

Can you upload a scene.

Message 3 of 7
blawsonhull
in reply to: damaggio

on win 10 x64.  like i said it worked fine in maya 2016.

here's a simple scene

Message 4 of 7
damaggio

It's deforming fine in windows 7,,,it's a simple shape, can you try again with new deformer.

Message 5 of 7
mspeer

Hi!

You have to rotate the deformer or the object:

(Some parts of the object becomes black because of the deformation and the properties of the object. The backside of some faces gets visible, the mesh is turned inside out.)

bend.gif

Message 6 of 7
blawsonhull
in reply to: damaggio

I highlight the object, go to Deform - (under create) Non-Linear - Bend

new deformer appears. object still asleep. no reaction.

--
*B. Lawson Hull*
*Darkworld Design*
Message 7 of 7
cornelh

@blawsonhull

As it was stated earlier on this post, when creating a deformer in Maya, it will be set to 0 and all deformations will be at the origin.  If you don't rotate the handles of the deformer, it WILL NOT deform.  Also when you have a polygon object with lots of geometry, it will try to deform that first, hence it moves the top or bottom faces first (when you keep the object flat with no rotation) the second you rotate the deformer into a deformable position, you then see the deformer working as expected.  I tried your file in May 2016 and got the exact same behavior.  Here is a short video with your files to help clear up how to use the Bend deformers in Maya 2016 and Maya 2017:

http://autode.sk/2hlHaEr

Good luck with deformers..  I think you should be fine once you see how they are expected to work.  Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report