Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texture Baking View - Resizing the preview?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
peafwlweaver
959 Views, 8 Replies

Texture Baking View - Resizing the preview?

I've been hounding the help files and internet to figure out if there's a way to do this to no avail. Is there a way to make the texture baking preview resolution/window/size bigger so I can actually see the whole scene at once together in higher def rather than having to pan around to a dozen or more little sections just to check on textures?

You'd once again be making my life that much easier with the answer if you have it. Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
peafwlweaver
in reply to: peafwlweaver

I feel like I should elaborate on the situation particular to my question.

Because I work in Second Life, you can't export FBX files with texture information. They just have to be the bare-bones model converted to .dae file format to import to the 'world'. Once in the world, that is where you can manually apply normal/spec/diffuse maps. Literally those are the only maps I can apply within Second Life. What I need to be able to see is a preview of the ambient occlusion texture I'd be baking using an occlusion sampler. I usually take file (just a straight up AO) into photoshop and work from there.

So, I need to be able to preview how that AO is going to come out. The size the texture preview allows is terribly small. It'd be much easier to see a bigger picture than to have to cam around and get it bit by bit.

Is there any solution to this?

Message 3 of 9
peafwlweaver

Really? No one knows what to do about this or if there's even a solution? Not even an admin? 😕

And ps... my own reply with more information doesn't count as a 'solution', as your e-mail implies it may.

Message 4 of 9
remimcgill

Hi there, sory for the lag in response.  Unfortunately it is not possible to change the size of the preview for Turtle, it is locked to this resolution to limit final renders being done with this tool.  Although this may be too restrictive.  

What kind of resolution would you like to use for previewing from the camera for baking?  

Again, Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will review this for upcoming releases.

Cheers,

Remi

Message 5 of 9
peafwlweaver
in reply to: remimcgill

2-3x that resolution (1024 or so) would probably be sufficient.

But why exactly is that a restricted operation? Don't indie game designers
need rendered stills for games, too? Not to mention students who work on
the side to get by like I used to. Maya LTs feature and help pages never
said this was a limited operation and I searched high and low for an
answer. I'm sure I'm not the only person somewhat tweaked over this. This
is pretty basic 3D modeling stuff, for students and professionals alike. 😞

I'm not the only one who feels this way and likely others have steered
clear of your product compared to free options out there that do these
simple things.

Example:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/243580/discussions/0/627456487054764324/

Your feedback team is likely to find interesting feedback about your
product regarding this topic and others on Steam's forums.
Message 6 of 9
serbus

I also find this restriction to be irritatingly limiting. I'm a 3D modeler for games, but I don't produce games myself. One of the essentials of selling your models is being able to provide a good looking render that matches what you would see in game. A playblast is not good enough for this if you want to be taken seriously and actually make sales.

I'm very grateful to the team for the bonus tools which allow batch rendering with Turtle, that's a huge improvement and very useful for turntables.

However, it is incredibly difficult to get a decent render from Turtle, which makes it useless for marketing. Especially for content sites like TurboSquid which have specific rendering requirements (minimum 1200x1200). I'm having a lot of troubles finding tutorials about improving my Turtle renders, specifically concerning Normal maps and transparent textures.  So far I love Maya LT, but the rendering limitations might be a deal breaker for me.

Message 7 of 9
serbus
in reply to: serbus

So after playing with LT a lot I'm starting to realise that it's really not marketed for content creators, which is fine, I totally get it. Also, I've figured out a tentatively decent render format for Turtle. Still wish I could resize it to 1200x1200, but at least it's good enough to know what it will look like in game. Very sad that .MLT files can't be opened with Maya's full version. Very disappointing and difficult if I'm working with a team that uses Maya full exclusively and kinda eliminates LT as an industry standard product.  I'm still finding a lot of use for it, as I really love the simplified work space and the fact that a lot of things I don't use no longer get in the way. I've played with the skeleton system, which I love. Easy and natural transition with no different from the full version. Haven't started working on controls yet though, so hopefully it still has the same versatility there as Maya.

Message 8 of 9
mNEHUA
in reply to: remimcgill

To preview an animated camera/cutscene that will be brought into the game, its necessary to use the film gate to make sure the field of view is correct and all objects that need to be seen by that camera are visible and in the right positions before exporting.

The locked resolution gate is completely absurd. I don't care about the render size, only the aspect ratio. 4:3 is not going to reflect the aspect of any modern screen. it was changeable in earlier MayaLT versions to be any resolution below 1024x768 (I was using 960x540) but in 2018 that feature is disabled. Not even very well, as if I load up my old 2017 scenes in 2018, I get my 960x540 film gate in 2018.

To reiterate, the main issue for me is being unable to change the aspect ratio of the resolution gate anymore, not the specific resolution. This is not being used to render.

Message 9 of 9
aga.koenig
in reply to: mNEHUA

Agree.. I don't want to render anything, I just want to see a preview how should I place my 3d assets to fit the game scene. This is absurd that I can't change it. Really really annoying....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report