Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SpacePilot Pro or any 3Dconnexion device support for Maya LT?

45 REPLIES 45
Message 1 of 46
peter
3686 Views, 45 Replies

SpacePilot Pro or any 3Dconnexion device support for Maya LT?

Hello,

I'm about to purchase Maya LT 2014 to be used in my asset creation pipeline.

Just downloaded the trial version , but my SpacePilot does not work in Maya LT.

Please tell me that there is a version of the plug-in available for Maya LT!

I cannot work without a 3D input device.

I'm running 64bit Windows 8

Can someone from autodesk please shine a light on this topic.

I tried using the plugin for maya 2014, but it is not supported.

Peter Pankras

www.CNC-lab.nl

45 REPLIES 45
Message 2 of 46
peter
in reply to: peter

Any news on this topic?

Come on, there is a working version for maya 2014, just allow that one to be use in Maya LT.

Message 3 of 46
remimcgill

Hi Peter,
Thanks for bringing this up, it's good to hear what your needs are. Is the SpacePilotPro plugin is a plugin supplied by 3Dconnexion?

Thanks,
Remi
Message 4 of 46
peter

Hi Remi,

When you installl drivers for a 3dconnexion device you get the option to install drivers for various applications including, max, maya, inventor, solid edge etc.

So drivers are available for maya 2014 for example.

I also explained the problem to 3Dconnection but they say autodesk has to do something about it since maya LT does not support the use of other plug-ins then supplied.

So now it's starting to feel like a game of ping pong between autodesk and 3dconnexion.

I cannot work any 3d app for a long time without being able to use a spacemouse..  and there are so many other 3D people who use them.

And since it already works for Maya 2014 and LT is a stripped version of 2014..  It should be no big deal to fix this.

I have to make a choice soon..  I just got back in 3D after a couple of years as a 5 axis cnc programmer, and since I used Maya since version 1.0 on SGI ..  picking Maya LT as the base in our content creation pipeline feels like the most natural option.

We don't need things like rendering and dynamics as it's mainly for realtime stuff sending it to unity.

But without support for a 3dconnection device my money will go to modo as it has native support for it build in.

Hope you will be able to clear things up if/when it will be available.

Cheers and thanx in advance

Peter

Message 5 of 46
peter

have a feeling this is not going to work any time soon..  but correct me if I'm wrong.

Why.

-Maya LT does not support 3rd party plug-ins.

-Maya LT does not support MEL scripting.

and you need both for the 3dconnection plug-in to work.

Peter

Message 6 of 46
peter

Any news on this issue?

My trial version ends in about 2 days..  so would love to hear if this will be supported yes or no.

Cheers

Peter

Message 7 of 46
remimcgill

Hi Peter,

Sorry about this but we don't have support for this and I'm not sure when it will come.  I've started a discussion about it internally to see how we can address this need.  I can see the need, and this is not something that we are blocking on purpose, but rather how MayaLT is set up right now to accept no plugins.  Also FYI we are working on adding the MEL scripting so that should come back soon.

Thanks for bringing this into focus for us, and please know that we are taking it seriously.

Thanks,

Remi

Message 8 of 46
creativegameobject

I just started my 15 day trial of Maya LT (for Unity) and hope SpaceMouse support is coming soon...in the meantime I'll research MODO listed above.

Message 9 of 46
peter

I've made my choice.

Tested both Maya LT and MODO on the same project.

Maya LT feels like a crippled version with all the restrictions and things left out.

I didn't get a straight answer about 3dconnection support here..

To all indy developers looking for a good content creation package for your assets that supports direct export to Unity and also has FBX export I highly recommend MODO.

You then even have a renderer, the best subd modeler around, dynamics, scripting etc etc..  just a complete package.

Not to mention..  MODO is on sale until the new year .   40% off.

I would have been stupid going for Maya..  So I went with MODO.

Cheers

Peter

Message 10 of 46
creativegameobject

I plan on subscribing to Maya LT for the year ($33/month). I'd rather use an Industry standard from Autodesk than something that is not so big.  There are more resources out there for Maya. If I wanted to save money i'd go with Cheetah 3D for $100 but there are very very few tutorials out there.  DigitalTutors.com has 533 Modo lessons and 9,700 Maya (granted some are probably very old) lessons.  I'm new to 3D but that's my take as someone that is trying to learn new software.

It would be nice if an Autodesk Employee replied to this thread to see if (and when) 3D mouse support will happen.

Message 11 of 46

>>It would be nice if an Autodesk Employee replied to this thread to see if (and when) 3D mouse support will happen.

Hi we are happy to respond.

At this point we don’t have a timeframe for ‘when or if’ 3d mouse support for LT will happen.  But we are interested, and it is something we do want to happen.  However we currently can’t commit to a timeline for it at this exact moment, as its complicated  (If it wasn’t you would already have the support/feature).

The topic is in active discussion internally and I will be more than happy to update this thread when we have some movement on the issue.  Cheers.

Message 12 of 46

You could install the 3Dconnexion beta drivers. they should work with maya LT.
Haven't tried it out, but you are able to configure it with any 3d app, also games.

Message 13 of 46
peter
in reply to: targetview

The solution has to come from autodesk, not 3dconnexion.

Maya LT does not support 3rd party plug-ins..  and since LT sees the 3dconnexion driver as a 3rd party plug-in it will never work until Autodesk fixes this.

I'm curious..  what's the status on 3Dconnexion support?  Can I expect anything soon?

It's already 3 month since my trial..  and already 1,5 months since the last reply here.

I did take a yearly subscription for Maya LT because I do believe that it's a handy way of moving my stuff in and out of unity..  but up until now it's been sitting on my desktop without using it since I rather use any other app I have running that supports my spacepilot.

Message 14 of 46
MatthewDoyleArt

We don't have an update right now on 3D Mouse support. Our dev team is hard at work adding in features to LT based upon commutiy feedback, but some features have greater priority than others. The fact that LT does not support plugins is not something that is broken. It was a conscious decision to not include plugin support. At least for the time being. I cannot say whether or not plugin support will ever be added or not, but it is entirely possible to allow for some items (such as 3D Mouse support) on a case by case basis.

Maya LT is a very powerful 3D content creation package for a very low price, with or without 3D mouse support. I own a Space Mouse Pro myself, and I enjoy the intuitive controls it offers, but when using LT, I get along fine with a mouse and keyboard. Maybe that's because I did game development for 8 years using a mouse and keyboard. 🙂 I hope you won't let a lack of 3D Mouse support put you off from using the tool for much longer, but we are still hopeful that 3D Mouse support will be part of the LT workflow in the future.

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com
Message 15 of 46
will.resendes

I too would like to see 3d mouse support in LT.  I figure a 3d mouse (and tablet) are just the natural evoltution of input devices and should be standard for any 3d modeling, sculpting, etc program.  I am on the fence about Maya and Modo (not just from the 3d mouse perspective).  I have trials of both and will see which I like best.  I will say that they did listen to customer feedback when they increased the poly limit to 65K (unlimited for export to unity), as well as script support.  I also understand that if you want all the bells and whistles there is the full Maya but LT is still feeling a little too restrictive.  

Message 16 of 46

Hi

I wanted to let you know that being able to have the possibility of 3rd party plugins for Maya LT for reasons like this is on our priority list although I can't say when it will happen, sorry I can't be more specific than that.  But I wanted you to know that we know it is important and needs to be addressed.

Thanks,

Remi

Message 17 of 46
resendesw

Thanks for the feedback.  I know you guys are working on this.  I know that the main reason is because of plugin support but as stated in this website link it could be possible to do the same thing as they did with Allegorithmic Substance:

•         Substance Material Integration allowing users to apply materials created in the Allegorithmic Substance Designer procedural texture creation tool to 3D models. (The direct integration of the Allegorithmic Substance Materials is a roundabout way of addressing the lack of plug-in architecture in Maya LT.)

Thanks again

Message 18 of 46
despin01
in reply to: remimcgill

I think this is fantastic news. Maya LT will be just that much more amazing with 3dconnexion support! Knowing that our opinions are being heard and even considered is also pretty amazing in general. I think its says a lot about Autodesk!

Message 19 of 46
peter
in reply to: despin01

I asked for this "feature" november last year.

For something that is supported in maya for years already..

The lack of support is disturbing ..  I haven't fired up Maya LT since then..  total waste of money.

I've entirely switched to modo.

At least with the foundry you get to talk to developers, and they even call you if there is a problem with the software.

Too bad..  I was a long time supporter of maya..  was one of the first who purchased version 1.0 here in the netherlands..  back in the days of chris landreth..   Back then Alias | Wavefront even had a face. We the users where even involved in support for other new users.

Those days are gone a long time ago.

Still, Maya is a great choice, but if you really want to have the feeling deveopers of stuff you use really care about what you say..  stay away from big companies like autodesk.

Subscription canceled and will continue to collect dust for the next 6 month until my subscription expires.

You may think I'm a nag autodesk...   but I'm only describing how I feel about it..  and who knows..   maybe I'm the only one..  

Cheers and good luck.

Message 20 of 46
Jaymian
in reply to: remimcgill

I'll just say, thanks Autodesk for listening and caring about your customers' needs, and that I'm really looking forward to that update!  I know some guys are perfectly capable using keyboard + mouse navigation, but for me, not being able to use my Space Explorer is really crippling, like working with all my fingers lopped at the second knucle! Smiley Happy

I've subscribed to this thread, please keep us posted!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report