Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send to Unreal Error "... must be locally installed"

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
tadmuck
1742 Views, 18 Replies

Send to Unreal Error "... must be locally installed"

I want to use the new "Send to Unreal" menu item but I'm getting an error why I try to use it.  I'm using EU4.6 and Maya LT 2015 Extension 2.

* Maya: I created a simple Human IK rigged gingerbread man (nothing else in the scene).

* UE4: I created a new project from one of the samples.

* Maya: I set the UE4 project using "File"->"Send To Unreal"->"Set Unreal Project"

* Maya: I try to export the FBX using "File"->"Send To Unreal"->"All"

This produces the following error dialog:

"Send To Unreal Error"

"A valid Unreal Engine must be locally installed."

At a glance, it looks like Maya is looking for "Unreal Engine.app" within my UE4 project and isn't finding it.

Is there a setup step on the unreal side that I'm missing here?  On my system, unreal is installed here as "/Applications/Unreal Engine.app".  Do I need to build it from scratch for "Send To Unreal" to work?

-- Morgan
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
remimcgill
in reply to: tadmuck

Hi Morgan,

Sorry this isn't working for you.  Off the top of my head I'm not sure what might be wrong.  You don't have to build Unreal yourself to get this to work, it is expecting a standard installation of Unreal 4.  I'm asking the developers who worked on this to get an idea of what might be going on.

Thanks for your patience.

Remi

Message 3 of 19
tadmuck
in reply to: remimcgill

Okay. I'm building UE4 to see if that helps. If they think I should reinstall something, let me know. Thanks.
-- Morgan
Message 4 of 19
remimcgill

Can you run this command in the script editor and then post the result?

optionVar -q "UnrealPath";

Message 5 of 19
tadmuck

optionVar -q "UnrealPath";
// Result: /Users/morgan/Documents/Unreal Projects/My3P_Tut //

-- Morgan
Message 6 of 19
tadmuck

Does the unreal project has to be in a child directory of my Maya project?

-- Morgan
Message 7 of 19
remimcgill

No, actually the Unreal Project is expected to be anywhere you want it.

Message 8 of 19
tadmuck

FYI, my Maya project path is "/Users/morgan/Desktop/Maya/MyProject/"

-- Morgan
Message 9 of 19
remimcgill

Ok I got a suggestion from the developer, could you try:

optionVar –remove “UnrealPath”

Then try Send to Unreal again?

Message 10 of 19
tadmuck

I tried invoking:

optionVar -remove "UnrealPath"

before "Send To Unreal", but it didn't help.

I tried playing with other variables too, to no avail.  I tried setting variables and invoking the export manually using GamePipelineSendToUnreal.mel as a guide, but it looks like the problem is within GamePipeline.bundle (compiled C++).

I'll keep trying to figure it out, but I'm a bit rusty when it comes to DTrace on Mac OS so I'm sort of flying blind.  If "Send To Unreal" works for your Mac testers (with UE 4.6), then maybe there is a UE4 setup step that they're taking which I am not... I am starting with a fresh UE4 example project.

-- Morgan
Message 11 of 19
tadmuck

I ran "dtress -t getattrlist -p <Maya's PID>" on the maya process, then tried "Send To Unreal" and found that it's expecting UE-4.4 to be installed based on this line:

getattrlist("/Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.4/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Editor.app\0", 0x7FFF5C013B78, 0x7FFF5C0137E0) = -1 Err#2

According to dtress it's not checking for anything other than UE4Editor and UE4CrashReporter.app, so I'm guessing that Maya's Send To Unreal has been hard-coded to check whether UE 4.4 is installed.  I'll test this theory tomorrow, once I've downloaded and installed UE-4.4.

-- Morgan
Message 12 of 19
tadmuck

Installing version 4.4.3 of the Unreal Engine fixes the problem with "Send To Unreal".

Since different people work on different parts of a pipeline, you really shouldn't bother to check whether UE is installed at all, but if you must check you should check for any version of UE, not just UE-4.4.

Once you've filed a bug report, I'll mark that response as the accepted answer.

-- Morgan
Message 13 of 19
remimcgill

Hi Morgan,

Glad something is working for you.  This is strange though, we double checked with Unreal 4.6 and were successful using the feature.  We'll look into it to see if we can figure out better what is going on so it isn't causing problems.

We do understand the people doing different disciplines may not need UE4 installed, but it is our way of checking to see determine if the user is doing an export for UE4, and therefore can do a unlimited polygon export to UE4.

I'll let you know what we find.

Thanks,

Remi

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

I'm having the exact same problem. It used to work and no longer works. After reading this post I suspect it was my upgrade to the new version of UE4. Anyway let us know when you figure this one out. Thanks!

Message 15 of 19
tadmuck

UE4 lets you have 3 engines installed at the same time (4.4, 4.5, and 4.6). Install 4.4 in addition to whatever you actually use.
-- Morgan
Message 16 of 19
viviane.rochon
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi SharifS,

I would like to know if you are working on Windows or Mac? This will help me in addressing the issue.

Thank you,

Viviane

Viviane Rochon Montplaisir
Message 17 of 19
tadmuck

This question must be for the other poster, but just in case (as stated above), I'm on a Mac.
-- Morgan
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

Me too, Mac OS X 10.9. It must be a Mac version issue.

Message 19 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ok I'll install UE4 4.4 again then. I figure it should work as long as it's installed (even if I'm using 4.6).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report