Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya LT Symmetry Issue Please Help

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jonathanmusso
335 Views, 1 Reply

Maya LT Symmetry Issue Please Help

Hi guys, I just purchased Maya LT. I am running it on Windows 8.1. I have followed guides for symmetrical modelling and just cannot seem to get it to work properly. 

When I create a cube and select the faces on one side and delete them, I duplicate special next. The created object is then black, it's annoying and I do not know why.  Then I try to preserve the seam and it will not work. I do not know why, it worked on my educational version of Maya 2015.

So then I tried the new and improved modelling toolbar, clicked an edge and then selected the symmetry button. I am not allowed to move the vertices on that edge left or right. I tried to work around it, then my model just magically stopped modelling with symmetry. 

Any tips? What am I doing wrong here? It has been extremely frustrating and I don't know what to do. 

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
remimcgill
in reply to: jonathanmusso

For the stuff rendering black you could try to turn Double-sided lighting on (Viewport menu: Lighting > Two Sided Lighting).  If the normals are reversed this could help.

Currently there is an issue with topological symmetry, whenever working in symmetry, you can’t do much with the seam.  If you do something that isn’t supported, Symmetry will automatically disable itself.  For instance, if you insert an edge loop across the symmetry seam, symmetry will be disabled.  You need to avoid making adjustments on the seam and most tools should work fine. 

Try keeping the modeling toolkit panel in view, and when the symmetry button is no longer highlighted , you will know that symmetry had to disable itself due to a modeling operation you did that doesn't support symmetry.  

We know that there are issues, so symmetry is something that we are looking at internally for the future.

Thanks,

Remi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums