Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya LT not registering characters animation on key frames

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
sunseeker1988
13883 Views, 7 Replies

Maya LT not registering characters animation on key frames

Please someone help. I cannot find an answer anywhere online. Maybe this is just a beginner mistake for animation, which is what I am, but I will manipulate my model then save the keyframe on the time line in maya and go to play the animations at the end and it just cycles threw my keyframes on my timeline and the model just sits there. If I click on a keyframe it dose not change the model either. For some reason the keyframes act like I never even rotated or translated my models position.

I am TEARING MY FCKING HAIR OUT GUYS :)I will film a video if I have too to explain better.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Still working on this. It makes no sense why this is not working. NO matter what I select or how I pose my model and input a keyframe I hit play at nothing happens. All those keyframes I input and bendign and rotating of my model dose nothing. It stays in the current pose and the time line just plays threw all the keyfames without my model animating.
Message 3 of 8

I thought to animate I move my model with one of the controllers then capture that pose with s, then move my model again with one of the controlleers and capture that pose ect and then hit play button..... I have watched 27 youtube videos on keyframe animation and im doing exactly what there doing and im having no sucess.

Message 4 of 8
remimcgill
in reply to: sunseeker1988

Hi, sorry this isn't working for you at the moment.  It sounds strange, I'm trying to think of what might be going on, One thing it could possibly be that the playback options are set to only play back the active window, I've attached an image showing how to get to this setting.  

Could you do a screen capture of your process from starting from launching Maya so we can see what might be going on for you?

A couple free screen capture softwares are jing and camstudio

http://www.techsmith.com/download/jing/

camstudio.org

Thanks,

Remi

Message 5 of 8

Message 6 of 8

It seems as tho some times the movement registers for a rotation of one of the controllers but if I open the fishes mouth and rotate the head and then hit the s key for that key frame, then close the mouth and hit the s key again and play the animations, it dose not recognize the mouth opening on the prior keyframe, it keeps the mouth closed the entire time and rotates the head. So maya is not saving the rotations or translations of different joitns when I try to save the keyframe.

it seems to only play an animation if I use one controller only. For instance if I creat 5 keyframes with the head controller that cosist of the head moving left,right,left,right,left, it will play those head movement key frames.

if I try to rotate another controller on another joint it ignores that and only keeps the movement of one controller. Sometimes other controllers joint rotation will register with a keyframe but if I attempt to manipulate multiple controllers and save a keyframe, not all of those controllers rotations will be saved. Its like it picks and choose which controllers on which keyframe it will and will not attempt to save on that keyframe which is making it very difficult to try and solve this.

Is there anything that could have happened when making the joints and controllers and constraints that could have affected the way keyframes work. I figured this would be like stop animation where I pose my model and capture that frame thenhj pose my model and capture that frame, then pose my model and capture the frame and maya interpoolates inbetween frames for the animation. Is there a setting, a design flaw or anything that would make it this difficult to creat a simple keyframe animation?

Message 7 of 8
remimcgill
in reply to: sunseeker1988

Hi, thanks for the video, this helps a lot 🙂  

So I think what is happening is that you are setting keyframes on the mesh/model of the fish rather than the controls that you select and rotate.  What you want to do is select and rotate the control, then set a key right on that control, then select the next control do your rotation then set a key on that control.  Also after you have one key on a control you can use Autokey which will apply a new keyframe every time you change the position or rotation.

Setting keys on the mesh/model of the fish will never do anything because in technical terms the entire fish mesh is not actually moving, this is different than animating a cube, where you are actually moving and rotating the cube's position and rotation through space directly.  What should be technically happening here is that the the controls should animate their position and rotation, then the bones are constrained or parented to these controls, and as the bones move around they deform the vertices of the mesh, but the overall transform of the mesh never actually moves.

Let me know if this works for you, or you have any questions,

Cheers,

Remi

Message 8 of 8
sunseeker1988
in reply to: remimcgill

Thank you.It makes sense now why the keyframes were not animating.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report