Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How exactly do I create a Color ID map from within Maya LT?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
26538 Views, 5 Replies

How exactly do I create a Color ID map from within Maya LT?

So, like the title says, I need to know, step by step, how to create a Color ID Map from within Maya LT and export it so I can import it into something like Substance Designer/Painter. 

I've tried all over Google, but my searches are failing me. It seems like this should be a very easy process, but sadly I am unable to figure it out on my own. 

Thank you all very much for your time.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
remimcgill
in reply to: Anonymous

This is likely done with the Vertex Color tool:

Vertex Color Tool Help

Let me know if you find what you need.

Thanks,

Remi

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: remimcgill

It looks promising. But how do you bake it out then? What settings in Turtle, etc...

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi, 

The process for creating the ID map will start in Maya LT, but you will actually bake the ID map in Substance Designer or Painter. You could use Turtle or Transfer Maps to bake an ID map, but it would be more involved than doing it in Subtance Designer or Painter.

To start, you will need to create the IDs in LT. All you need to do is create materials and apply it to the mesh. I use a lambert material. You can select faces and assign the material or assign it to polygon shells. You will then want to name the material and give it a color. You can actually change the color in Substance Designer, but I find setting the color in LT is good for visualizing on wear you materials will be placed on the mesh. Also, its very easy to change materials in LT and thus quickly try out new configurations.

Once you have the materials assigned, you then export the FBX and import this into Substance Designer. In Designer, you can right-click the mesh and choose Bake Model Information. Next, you will choose the "Convert UV to SVG" baker and set the Color Mode to Material ID. On the left side of the baker window, you will see the FBX nodes and the material IDs you set in LT. You can click on the color box to change the color if you like. When you bake, the material ID color will fill the UV shell that is associated with the material ID using the color in the color box.

Please let me know if you have any problems. 

Cheers, 
Wes

Tags (3)
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you very much for your answer Wes. It was what I was looking for.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Great, glad that helped.

Cheers,

wes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report