Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport performance

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mitchtbh
648 Views, 13 Replies

Viewport performance

I recently built a new computer with decent specs and am getting kinda average results performance wise.

A rig with about 100,000 tris animating only gets about 12 or so fps - and having two or three brings it down to under 6fps.. Makes it hard to animate and lip sync ect.. Anything I can look into to increase the performance? I thought my computer may be able to handle more.

PC specs:
i7 5960X
Quadro m4000
64GB Ram

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pshwayka
in reply to: mitchtbh

Do you have your evaluation mode set to parallel in your preferences->settings->animation section?

I can't promise you it will help, but it's probably worth checking.

Message 3 of 14
targetview

I think something else is going on, even in DG mode you should reach an average of 40 f/s.
Check if there is any dynamics in the scene, turn it of, check if anything in the scene ( meshes ) uses ( opencl acceleration ).

I know it makes sense to use opencl, but I have the same card and opencl slows the card down.
I am able to reach 100 till 120 frames per second with everything turned of ( AA, AO, 32RGBA )
Offcourse depending on what you have on screen.

Edit :
Check if you deleted non-deformer history.
I am asuming you do not have a geforce card in your system as well, as that will slow down your quadro as well.

Message 4 of 14
saihtam

In addition to the previous questions it would be helpful to know more about your rig. Does it only use skincluster? Do you really need to show 100k tris? I'd recommend to make a lower version of the rig as well that would perform better. You just need to make a duplicate of the mesh and reduce the polys then copy the skincluster over. For body movement you can even just have cutouts of the mesh constrained to the skeleton.

- Mathias
Message 5 of 14
mitchtbh
in reply to: pshwayka

I'm using Maya 2015.. Do I have this option?

Message 6 of 14
pshwayka

No...sorry, I assumed you were on 2016. (It was a new feature this year.)

Message 7 of 14
mitchtbh
in reply to: pshwayka

Darn - thats ok. I'm using rigs that I was given through work... but theyre a little messy. I get crashes when I try to delete non deformer history so there might be something going on there.

Message 8 of 14
targetview

you ould try to enable hardware acceleration in viewport 2 settings, play the timeline and play it one more time to see if you get a framerate at least over 40 frames per second.

If the framerate is just the double os 12 f/s then there is something going on with the mesh, if the framerate gets over 40 f/s then the problem lies somewhere else.

Edit : And indeed 100.000 tris is actually a character which is used for rendering, for animation, allways use a mesh as low as possible.
I never get higher then 10.000 faces for a mesh.

If posible I even go below 5000 faces for a full character.

Message 9 of 14
mitchtbh
in reply to: targetview

Frame rate isn't rising on playback so I guess the vertex cache isn't working. Still getting around 7-10fps.
Message 10 of 14
targetview

Ask the guy you got the mesh from to give you the low poly version, I asume the mesh you got is the high poly version ( probably sculped )

Test with the low poly version and if you don't see any improvements, then you could have a look at the drivers - if actually nothing helps, re-install maya and that's about all the stuff you could do.

After that you need technical support from nvidia and autodesk.

Message 11 of 14
saihtam

Can you post a screenshot of the inputs on the 100k mesh?
- Mathias
Message 12 of 14
mitchtbh
in reply to: saihtam

These specific rigs I'm using range from 20,000 tris to 70,000 tris.  

Here are the inputs/outputs from the Channel Box for a 60,000 tri rig.

http://i.imgur.com/BtmFQ0X.png

Message 13 of 14
targetview

Damned, what a clusters - well that's your problem for sure.
The mesh gets choked by all the info it needs to process from all those clusters. LOL
Normally you have one cluster and thats the skin-cluster- everything else is handled by joints or blendshapes.
Sure sometimes it's needed, but not for this setup. ( facial animation )

Good thing from saitham  to ask about it, I wouldn't have thought about it, cause I have never seen so many clusters in 1 mesh 🙂

Message 14 of 14
mitchtbh
in reply to: targetview

Haha - well thats great to know haha. I don't think I'll be able to get the rigger to make any changes or fix/tidy them up so it looks like I'll just deal with it for now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report