Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off repeated 'student version' notification for every single save/autosave?

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
Anonymous
15984 Views, 38 Replies

Turn off repeated 'student version' notification for every single save/autosave?

OK... I really appreciate Autodesk making a student version of Maya available, it's really a wonderful tool for learning the software, however...

Is there any way to turn off the 'this is a student version' notification that pops up <b><i>every single time you save/autosave the file?</i></b>

😞

--Jud
38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Paying full price when you are a student is pretty stupid move to do.
Message 3 of 39
Anonymous

Hi... I was talking about the student version... the free student version Autodesk makes available to qualified students.

Unfortunately, a student doesn't generally have the budget to pay 'full price' but fortunately, Autodesk is wise enough to distribute a *free* full feature student version to those of us who *will* be full paying customers once we're out of school and working.

I laud Autodesk for making this available to qualified students.

However, back to the original subject...

The student version of 3DS Max only puts up a "student version" dialog box when you first open the program or when you open a file that has been created with a student version. This is a very reasonable way of providing that notification.

The student version of Maya however, puts up a "student version" dialog box every single time the scene is auto-saved or manually saved. This is a bit much I think.

What I meant by the 'pirated version' statement is that many students who would otherwise be fine with the student version of Maya might become frustrated enough with the incessant dialog box that they may resort to tracking down a pirated version of Maya to avoid the nag factor.

Both 3DS Max and Maya are from the same company... Autodesk. The 3DS Max solution is the more reasonable way to go. It notifies potential clients that files were created with a student version but gets out of the way of the student's workflow. Maya's solution hinders the student's workflow.
Message 4 of 39
goldwater1

Hi,

I am a student and currently download a student version. My case is even worse, not only when I save, almost everytime when I click on the icon, such "Student Message" pops up and I need to click either "cancel" or "continue". I am frustrated of getting that message almost every 10 seconds.

Not sure if "AutoSave" could cause such problem. But I am new to Maya, could you please tell me how to TURN OFF that AUTOSAVE Feature.

I totally agree with you, students who are now enjoying the Free Version is definitely a potential customer and shouldn't be neglected.

Thanks so much
Message 5 of 39
Anonymous

HI

Is there a fix to this problem? one day using maya so far and it is already driving me crazy.

thanks.
Message 6 of 39
Anonymous

THAT FREAKING NAG SCREEN IS THE MOST ANNOYING PITA - EVER!

Sheesh.. no wonder people opt to download pirated crap.

They really should have thought that through a little more and just have the nag box only show once on saving and once on opening a project. THAT might be tolerable!

I'm going back to learning Cinema 4D.
Message 7 of 39
Anonymous

Hi everyone,
even i have downloaded the student version of 3ds max 2012 and Maya 2011, i dont have maya 2012 hence i am not facing any problems with maya 2011 regarding the student version naggin pop up.. i was just going through the thread and thought of advising you all to download the student version of maya 2011 which according to me is working absoulutely fine witout any pop ups as no one from the autodesk team is responding to the thread... downloadin maya 2011 will hardly take a couple of hrs and you guys wont have to waste any more of your precious time and start working on it till anyone from autodesk replies to the thread regarding the error.....
thank you,
CJ
Message 8 of 39
koinoyokan

Hate to awaken a 2-year-old thread but was this ever fixed?!? I just started learning Maya in school and recently dl'ed the free Maya 2015 student version and am having that annoying as hell notification popping up every single time I ctrl+s (which, by habit, is very often).

What in god's name were the people at Autodesk thinking when approving this ludicrous idea to whoever came up with it?!!

Message 9 of 39
acuin1985

Is there a way to turn it off? It can get frustrating while editing objects and the notificatin comes up, not being able to click on cancel or continue or continue editing, it just gets stuck. Having to push the window key and selecting the autosave fromt the task bar to close it. Do that 20 times a day!

Message 10 of 39
dbetan02
in reply to: acuin1985

You might possibly have downloaded the trial version, not the education version.  The only time any message comes up on the student version is when you save your file.  If something is "popping up" then you have downloaded the incorrect version.  Go back to autodesk dot com and type in education and sign up for a free education version.

Message 11 of 39
halfstone
in reply to: dbetan02

Thought I'd weigh in on this issue.  Generally, I have no problem with this.  I teach at a university, I use the free student version at home, and invariably when I review student work I get this popup, just like everyone else.  I think it's a very small price to pay for software that ordinarily costs thousands of dollars.  I would much rather click on a notification window often than write a check once a month to pay off an equity loan, which is how I bought my first cut of Maya. 

That said, there is one area where this notification has become completely intrusive and, in my opinion, really does need to be fixed.  When several people are working on a group project and their work is referenced into a master file, opening up the master file with 20 or 30 references causes this window to appear when every single reference is loaded - 10 times, 20 times, 30 times - click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, lick, click, click, click, click - and on and on and on.  It will really interrupt a class, and actually changes my curriculum.  I tell students to specifically NOT use file references because of this, which is not right.  

Message 12 of 39
kmarkus-walczak
in reply to: acuin1985

I could be wrong, but to me this sounds like you perhaps have Auto Save turned on?  I don't so I don't know if this is the problem or not, however it would make sense that the nag screen would pop up like this...it's supposed to come up every time you save a file, so it would make sense this would apply to auto save as well.  Might be worth taking a moment to check your preferences.

As far as the older previous comment about "who approved it",  honestly...it was probably the folks who were trying to protect their financial investment and intellectual property (and they have that right).  I honestly don't have a problem with the nag screen per say (although with files where you have multiple references and thus multiple nag screens, it can get a tad annoying)...from my view, it's a VERY small price to pay for access to such wonderful software.  It's an extra mouse click or two here and there...big deal.  Aside from being a reminder that you are using a student license, specifically intended for the purpose of learning the software, it prevents people from otherwise violating that license agreement.  As a person who's a digital arist, a musician, a photographer AND who's married to an applications developer, let's just say I have a rather unique view of the concept of intellectual property, so I can't help but respect this.

Like individual artist's, software companies such as Autodesk have a right to protect their property...again a small nag screen is a small price to pay for access to such software for learning purposes.

Message 13 of 39

I'm the one who made that comment a little over 6 months ago and I agree - it really is an insignificant price to pay to be able to use the full version of the software. Back when I wrote that I didn't appreciate how powerful the program was, and was also trying to use it on a laptop that really couldn't handle any design program without crashing unpredictably which had me Ctrl+Saving every other minute. I now use Maya practically every day for school (and have a machine that runs Maya like nothing) and don't mind the reminder.
Message 14 of 39
kmarkus-walczak
in reply to: halfstone

"When several people are working on a group project and their work is referenced into a master file, opening up the master file with 20 or 30 references causes this window to appear when every single reference is loaded - 10 times, 20 times, 30 times - click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, lick, click, click, click, click - and on and on and on.  It will really interrupt a class, and actually changes my curriculum.  I tell students to specifically NOT use file references because of this, which is not right." 

Yea...I gotta agree that it's a serious pain in the butt with references.  My current project has as many as 12 references in certain scenes and yea...almost like a video game...trying to see how fast I can click the mouse button!  LOL!  I suspect the reason is simply that the nag screen is written into the scene file (probably as a header or something) so that ANY time that file is opened (or saved), the nag screen comes up.  It's annoying, but I don't think they could really do too much about it either.

Now that said, for a classroom environment, instead of telling the students "don't use references", I'd actually suggest having them work in "groups".  Say you have a class size of 25 students...you break them down into 5 or 6 groups, the students in a given group could just import their individual work into a master file for that group and that way instead of having 25 referenced files, you'd only have 5 or 6 (the nag screens would still be annoying, but managable).  This would also have the distinct advantage of giving the students a bit of insight into how the "big boys" do it.  After all, companies like Pixar and Disney and such typically have the modeling department, the animation and rigging department, the texture department, the lighting department and so on.  Throughout the semester/class, after some instruction on the basics you could rotate kids in the different "departments" so that everyone could get a bit of a taste of everything thing there...maybe even teach them to work as a cohesive team 🙂

Just something to think about...

Message 15 of 39
hardiklakhalani

Here is Solution

I created AutoHotKey script to Close this Popup box every time it appears.
Don't be scared to use this, Its not virus, It is Simple code to close that window.

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
#SingleInstance force
TrayTip, Hello User, You can Exit this script from Here`n(Script Created By Hardik Lakhalani), 20, 17
Loop
{
WinWait, Student Version File
IfWinExist, Student Version File

{
;WinActivate, Student Version File
ControlClick, x215 y109, Student Version File
}
}

Happy Learning..

Message 16 of 39
KEHNMIT5
in reply to: hardiklakhalani

OH MY GOD!

I never even thought of automating the clicking! You've saved my life!

I'm working on a scene with about 30 references in it, and couldnt' stand hitting "Okay" that many times!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Message 17 of 39

I might be a bit dense, but how am I supposed to use this script? where am I supposed to paste this to?

Message 18 of 39

You have to install a very light software
Called AutoHotKey (for windows) then you can create new empty script by
rightclick>New>Autohotkey file.
Message 19 of 39

Thanks a lot

Message 20 of 39

Thank you so much!! You have saved my time on this!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report