Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth preview (number 3 on keyboard) crashes Maya...

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jchild
17689 Views, 7 Replies

Smooth preview (number 3 on keyboard) crashes Maya...

I just upgraded to 2015 where viewport 2.0 is now default however when I do a smooth mesh preview (number 3 on the keyboard) Maya crashes. I reopen and tested it in Legacy default viewport and hit 3 on a simple cube and it works fine, with that same cube in preview mode I switched back to viewport 2.0 and *crash*. I found someones post out in forums 

"

Maya 2015 may crash turning on Smooth Mesh Preview (3 key) for some meshes if the Subdivision Method is OpenSubdiv.

To avoid the crash either delete or rename the UV Set named ‘map11’, or change the Subdivision Method to Maya Catmull-Clark.

1. Select the mesh
2. Open the UV Set Editor. Create UV’s ->UV Set Editor
3. Select  the UV Set named “map11”
4. Delete or Rename

or 

1. Select the mesh
2. Open the Attribute Editor for the mesh shape.
3. In the Smooth Mesh attributes change Subdivision Method to Maya Catmull-Clark

"

The second method kind of worked meaning 50% of the time. Could it be my specs?

I have Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

intel core i7 920 2.67GHz

6GB ram

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
lugexd
in reply to: jchild

i am actually having the same problem currently. could be that my drivers are not up to date, but I can not update them due to being on an hp laptop and they do not allow it.
Message 3 of 8
lugexd
in reply to: lugexd

I have figured out a possible for you.

go into your settings>preferences and select display, scroll to the bottom and change rendering engine from OpenGL to DX11 and it should fix your issue, cause it just fixed mine.
Message 4 of 8
PatGombarcik
in reply to: lugexd

Thanks, Both these solutions work. Just got an email back from Autodesk saying they don't know why I am getting these crashes and they don't have any solutions. Support should read these forums, I guess.
Message 5 of 8
zewt
in reply to: PatGombarcik

For anyone else searching their way here, this was fixed in 2015 SP2: "Maya may crash turning on Smooth Mesh Preview (3 key) when the Subdivision Method is OpenSubdiv and a UV Set named “map11” is present". (That was released in May, so I don't know why Pat was told they don't have a solution.)
Message 6 of 8
pogiphil

Thanks for sharing this as I had suffered the same problem in maya 2015. 

Changing the subdivision method to maya catmull-clark via the attribute editor worked for me. 

not sure if it has to do with specs but honestly my laptop is really old and I always got this crash, however if I used the university computers I would not have this probem...

Message 7 of 8
ammar.dk

I have also the same problems to fix it it is very simpel.

1- installe the Directx

2- go settings>preferences and select display, scroll to the bottom and change rendering engine from OpenGL to DX11.

3- restart

4- Enjoy

Here is the Directx link i have installe

http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx

Message 8 of 8
sushanta.santra

This 2nd method still works in Maya 2018...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report