Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay-to-own OR pay-to-use??

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
biblesinger
415 Views, 4 Replies

Pay-to-own OR pay-to-use??

Hi all,

Several months ago i went to the Maya page to check out the app and AD's payment plans, noticing there was a monthly pay-to-own plan around 195.00.

Ok, i now want to buy a desktop sub of Maya, but the 'wording' seems to have changed somewhat. So i'm i right in finding they no longer have the pay-to-OWN option, but only the pay-to-USE one? If so, that hurts Man Sad ..especially after seeing some of the new 2015 promo videos, wow!

The desktop sub is the only plan i could even THINK of buying - 185.00 a month plan - and yet, still, can't believe i was here just a few months ago and could have bought Maya to eventually own it, but now can't - if i'm reading it right, that is. I'm (unfortunantly) correct, aren't i?

Thanks..

Timothy

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: biblesinger

"Pay to own" is a bit of a misnomer; you only own software if you paid a developer for work-for-hire.  When a company sells an unsolicited program you are only paying for the right to use it.

There are two current models in place for AutoDesk products.  One is full purchase, which requires the full payment of several thousands of dollars depending on the product.  This basically provides the ability to use the product as long as it is supported, which may be influenced by obsolete operating systems (such as XP support being dropped for 2015 products) or upgrades to newer versions (typically the previous three releases).  This is best for long term, large scale use provides a very predictable cost.

The other is a rental model, which involves month-to-month or yearly payments.  This requires periodic connection through the internet to ensure your contract is still valid.  This is best for work loads which may vary substantially, allowing for short-term staff to be quickly added when needed without the large expense of the more conventional license.  Its also useful for part-time use which may see no work for several months at a time.

Both models *should* be available.  Is there a reseller in your area who can provide assistance?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5
biblesinger
in reply to: dgorsman

No, i would only be purchasing an online desktop sub, since i can't afford the entire up-front price. Several months ago there was a pay-to-own option (which common sensically dictates that after a certain time period arrives you don't have to keep paying monthly, but can still run and use the program, albeit may be an older version, and that without support, which is fine with me, except of course you couldn't upgrade, which no Co i'm aware of dis-allows) which AD evidently pulled. Bummer! Oh well, hey much thanks anyway dgorsman!  ..back to Blender for me Smiley Frustrated

Timothy

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: biblesinger

Individual resellers may allow for payment plans, at the very least it couldn't hurt to have a local sales contact for other purchase questions.

You might do a little out of the box thinking and use small business financing or crowd-sourcing to handle the funding, too.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
biblesinger
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks dgorsman. At present i don't know of any such resellers and can't afford (due to low credit) a loan. That's a good idea though about culling together some group resoures. I think i'll pursue that route until something better presents itself. Thanks again..

Timothy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report