Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya using only 50% cpu with 36 cores 72 threads

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
SeanRAA
4526 Views, 4 Replies

Maya using only 50% cpu with 36 cores 72 threads

Hey All,

We just got a PC that has dual 18 core CPU's with a total of 72 threads. When I go to render with Mental ray and or Vray, the renderer only uses 50% of the CPU power. 36 threads are just sitting there doing nothing.

Has anyone ran into this problem with their processor setup? Is this a Windows 7pro limitation? Does Maya only supoort a certain amount of threads?

A couple things to note:

• The Task manager shows there are 72 threads
  • Hyper threading is of course enabled
  • No cores are parked
  • Advanced boot options only show 36 cores not 72
  • Power options are set to "high performance"

The computer specs are:

• 2x Intel Xeon E5 2699 v3 18 core
  • 128gb of DDR4 RAM
  • Windows 7 Pro
  • Quadro k5200

Thanks for your help.

Here is a test I ran with Prime 95 where the same thing is happening:

7kAWCBq.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DarrenP
in reply to: SeanRAA

it may have to do with this: http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/n268-how-many-cores-does-3ds-max-support

3ds max has the same issue

this seems to be a limitation of desktop OSs

A Server OS will not have this issue

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
SeanRAA
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks for the link. This is pretty disapointing and I would hope that Maya and other Autodesk products support Windows Processor Groups now this this tech is out there.

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: SeanRAA

That may take a few releases to incorporate.  Development schedules are created years in advance and while the schedule may change to accomodate unforseen changes, it typically doesn't change for new hardware until there is reasonably widespread adoption.  4K/UHD monitor support is a good example of this.  Moving things around also means "bumping" other projects, and sometimes its a difficult choice which to do first and what has to wait, like Windows 10 support vs. multiple processor group support.  Either way some users are going to be unhappy, so we just need to recognize that our own needs may not be priorities for other users or AutoDesk.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
bliskone
in reply to: dgorsman

is that already solved in newer versions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums