Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya takes forever to open

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
SebastianOsborn
12492 Views, 14 Replies

Maya takes forever to open

Okay, so before I explain my problem, I will first give you all the details you may need to know.  I recently got a 64 bit computer, it has 32 gigs of memory (I guess ram?), 4 cores, and 8 logical processors.  I have Windows 10, with 266 gigs of free memory on my solid state hard drive.  Lastly, I have Maya 2015.  My computer is extremely fast, in almost every way, except for opening Maya.  So here's what happened: A few days ago, after installing Maya, it opened fine!  But recently, all of a sudden, it now takes around 30 minutes for Maya to open.  Why?!!!  Also, for some reason, when I'm on Maya, I click "Open Scene" under "File" and it never opens anything.  The open window just comes up and is white and remains that way forever.  I have waited on it for about an hour and just gave up.  Also, apparently "Save" does the same thing.

Now, here's what I think may have happened:  So, after installing Maya and having it run fine, I started installing other programs (ones I need, which are trusted, and I have used before with no problems) that I had installed on my other computer before I got this new one.  But I'm not even running the other programs while opening Maya.  So they shouldn't be directly affecting it.  This just makes no sense to me!  And I need this to work, like SOON, because I am in Animation Mentor (online school of animation and vfx) and I NEED to be able to open and save files, as well as have Maya open in a reasonable amount of time.  Please, if anyone can help, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
CGXel
in reply to: SebastianOsborn

That's totally weird!

I don't know how to fix it, but you could try installing Maya 2016 instead, perhaps it runs fine!

Download:

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/maya

Service Pack 5 (updates and patches for it)

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/maya-2016-service-pack-...

Message 3 of 15
cornelh

Hi SebastianOsborn,

Thank you for posting your startup issues.  First off I would delete the Maya Prefs. folder to clear any corrupted paths or directories Maya seems to be looking for. Here is a link with more info: reset Maya to defaults

Another possibility is that your Graphics Adapter is out of date and needs to be updated. 

If that still doesn’t allow Maya to run properly, the more drastic option is to do a clean un-install and re-install Maya with hopes that it will fix whatever is causing this delay.  Let me know you are able to get it running fine.  It seems there could have been a conflict with some else you installed maybe changed your system environment variables or caused a conflict which might resolve by changing the installation order. 

Cheers.

Message 4 of 15
mcmiller22
in reply to: cornelh

I am having the same issue - Maya 15 on Windows 10 I go to open scene - or set project - or import - anytime I have to access a directory Maya sits for a while with a white pop iup window - about 3-5 minutes later the directory will pop up. This only happens in Maya - outside of the program I can search directories just fine. I deleted the prefs but no impact. thanks
Message 5 of 15
slimboJoe
in reply to: mcmiller22

Maya 2015 is not technically qualified under Windows 10.

Message 6 of 15
mcmiller22
in reply to: slimboJoe

is 16 qualified or do I need to wait until 17 for a solution
Message 7 of 15
slimboJoe
in reply to: mcmiller22

Yes, I believe 2016 is qualified under Windows 10 now, but it was not a few weeks ago. I think the qualifications are actually just AutoDesk testing it and giving it the thumbs up if it works.

Because it actually worked before installing the other programs, I think I would have to agree with Housein .C and try a re-install of Maya. That and the Prefs removal always seems like a weak answer, but in this case it is worth a try. I always install Maya LAST if I can help it.
Message 8 of 15
slimboJoe

Oops, sorry mcmiller22.  I was reading the top post but relpying to you.  My bad.  Your problem is different.  The first poster was having a delay in starting Maya.  Yours sounds like the file dialog...

Did yours all of a sudden start up or always like that?  There is an option in the Preferences to use the OS native file dialog.  I have had success in the past with using that instead of the Maya default file dialog box.

Open Preferenes Window, go down the left side under Settings and choose File/Projects.  It's the third option from the BOTTOM called File Dialog.  Report back...

Message 9 of 15
SebastianOsborn

I actually solved this issue months ago.  I did exactly what slimboJoe did, and it worked.  I highly recommend doing that.  As for getting the default dialog box to work, the problem was fixed when I had Windows reinstalled for me with (this time) all the correct (and up-to-date) drivers installed for Windows 10 and my computer had less problems.  The Maya start-up issue (taking too long to open) was fixed as well as the dailog box issue.

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 15
slimboJoe

Thanks for the update, SebastianOsborn. Did you do the FREE upgrade to Windows 10?
Message 11 of 15
mcmiller22

Ok will try this

Sent from my iPhone
Message 12 of 15
mcmiller22

And setting the perfs to native os did the trick - how did you figure that one out? thank you - I now have a completed updated driver and windows update (which did nothing) but simply changing from maya default to os native was like magic!
Message 13 of 15
wir3d

@slimboJoe you ARE a GOD SEND!!!! I have been having this issue for a long time!  I was trying to figure out why Maya would hang like this when trying to open or save files!  This has cleared up my whole issue!!!

Message 14 of 15
jsr2000c

Oh. My. God.

you fixed my issue too.

I ve been trying to figure this out too for long long time!! god........ thank you so much

but really wondering.. why the hell maya default setting makes so slow?

the problem never happened until I upgrade my graphic card driver update.

like 5 years it never happened.. and just today I got this issue.. and got stress whole day to solve
how did you figure this out..?

Message 15 of 15

Thank you so much it really helps me 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report