Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2016 Extension 2 (2016.5) won't open after install

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
josh.anguix
3377 Views, 14 Replies

Maya 2016 Extension 2 (2016.5) won't open after install

I recently updated to Maya 2016 Extension 2 but can't get it to launch on my main workstation.

It gets as far as opening the Output Window, which is blank, and continuously trying to launch multiple "acwebbrowser.exe" processes.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing multiple times with no progress. Still fails to load Maya after installation.

I have a network license and have installed on other machines successfully, and can launch it on other machines including render nodes and spare workstation but not on my main working rig. 

This is a big problem, especially with deadlines in a few days and projects already started using Maya 2016 Ext 2.

My main rig is Win7 machine. - doesn't work

My spare workstion is Win 7 - works fine.

Renders nodes are all Win 10 - works fine.

Not sure what is going on.  

I did get an error during installation where installer failed to write to start menu shortcut item due to incorrect permissions.

But this never happened on any other machine installation.

Help.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
TravisNave
in reply to: josh.anguix

Have you tried right-clicking the icon and run as Administrator?  Or just login as another test local administrator account?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 15
tony.su

Update the user privileges to files.

The More Info dialog will display the error generated during the installation process. In the following example Uninstall tool.lnk generated the error message.

Perform the steps below on the folder containing the file.

In the example below the folder is Autodesk, Inc..

The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Autodesk\Uninstall tool.lnk

Set the privileges for the folder mentioned in the error message, in our example C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Autodesk\ , following the steps below.

Windows 7:

1. Choose Start
  2. Type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and click OK.
  3. Right-click on the Autodesk folder and select Properties.
  4. Select the Security tab.
  5. Make certain that Administrators and SYSTEM is listed and permissions for security is set to full control.
  6. If Administrators and SYSTEM are not set to full control:
    1. Click Edit
    2. Follow the on-screen navigation through the UAC elevation prompt.
    3. Make the necessary changes.
  7. Click Advanced.
  8. Click Edit. . .and click through the UAC elevation prompt
  9. Check Replace Permission Entries On All Child Objects With Entries Shown Here That Apply To Child Objects.
  10. Click OK
  11. Click the Owner tab.
  12. Click Edit and follow the on-screen navigation through the UAC elevation prompt.
  13. Select Administrators.
  14. Check on Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects.
  15. Click OK.
  16. Click OK on the warning that displays.
  17. Reinstall Autodesk software.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 4 of 15
josh.anguix
in reply to: tony.su

Thanks for the advice guys.

I had already tried reinstalling as Administrator by right-clicking installer "Run as Administrator" but had no luck with that.

I tried to change the Permissions in Start Menu as suggested, but was denied access to make any changes to permissions until I changed ownership to Administrators. I could then add Full Control permissions, and finally got through the install process error free.

But I still cannot get Maya 2016 Ext 2 to load after this successful install.
It still does the same thing when I try to launch Maya.
Just keeps flashing Windows loading icon on mouse cursor and"acwebbrowser.exe" processes continuously starting and stopping in TaskManager.
The "maya.exe"process never has any CPU load. It just sits there in the list of open processes in TaskManager and never launches the software.

Any other suggestions?  

Not sure why this is failing to launch on this machine but runs perfectly on others.

All other successful installations on my other machines were done from same installer files.

Message 5 of 15
Anifex09

first question has it created a default folder (my documents\Maya2016.5\) ???  if so try deleting that folder and then run maya 2016.5

if not create one by coping your old Maya2016 folder and renaming it to Maya2016.5 - run Maya 2016.5 again.

Message 6 of 15
josh.anguix
in reply to: Anifex09

Yes, it had created a folder in My Documents but was empty, no sub-folders for 'scripts, 'prefs', etc. Just an empty 'Maya.env' file.
I tried copying the folders from 2016 install over as suggested.
Tried to launch again. Still no luck.
Message 7 of 15
Anifex09

did you try deleting the folder completely and starting Maya??
Message 8 of 15
josh.anguix

Yep. Tried that first. It just re-created the folder with "Maya.env" file but no sub-folders for all prefs, scripts, etc
Message 9 of 15
Anifex09

Ok so what type of graphic card are you using ? have you tried updating the driver One last thing you may want to disconnect from the internet and disable your firewall, then try running Maya.
Message 10 of 15
josh.anguix

Running GTX Titans on my workstation with latest GPU drivers.
Had no problems running Maya 2016 previously, and my other machine has same GPU with older drivers running fine.

Tried with & without firewall, internet connected & disconnected. Still no luck.

Message 11 of 15
josh.anguix

I have also tried uninstalling Extension 2 using the Microsoft Install/Uninstall utility ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2438651 ) and re-installing, without any luck.

Tried to find new installer files but can't find Extension 2 download on Autodesk Virtual Agent. 

Also tried updating to Ext2- SP1. Still no luck.

Tried changing the "License.env" file to try launch as Standalone instead of looking for network license, but this didn't change anything either.

Never even gets to splash page when I try to launch Maya. 

I'm out of ideas. 

2016 version still works fine but I need to use Ext 2 as the project I am working on has been using v2016.5 for production and when I open scenes in v2016 I get errors.

Message 12 of 15

Same problem here.

But i found differences in the system environment variables.

Please check:

right click on -> computer -> properties

-> Advanced system settings

-> environment variables

- system variables

delete the entry  MAYA_APP_DIR

restart.

cheers

Message 13 of 15

Thanks for the tip, but I don't see any entry in System Variables for Maya as you suggested.

Only entry in System Variables regarding Autodesk products is "ADSK_CLM_WPAD_PROXY_CHECK" which is set to FALSE.

But I believe that is supposed to be there to stop auto proxy detection by default which can cause problems.

So far my main workstation is still unable to launch 2016 Extension 2.

Message 14 of 15
Kraesyin

Hi, I know this post is from quite a white ago but I encountered the same problem for my MAC and accidentally stumbled across how to make it work, so I'll leave it here in case someone else has the same problem.
What I did was:

right click on an existing Maya file -> open with -> Maya (Maya 2016.5)

It'll then ask you to input a serial number and product key (my licence for Autodesk Maya 2016 worked)
and voila! Extension 2 should work fine! 

Message 15 of 15
support103

Hi all,

I have a solution, we go to C:\User\"username"\Autodesk\maya\

and then you will see the maya 2016.5, delete this folder.

You go to task manager by administrator, you have to end task all process of Autodesk.

Start the Maya 2016 extension 2, the software will create the new folder, and the Maya will start normally.

Good luck, if you need more information, please reply in this topic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report