Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License selling 3d character tutorials using Maya and Mudbox 2012?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
yunkhang.lai
361 Views, 4 Replies

License selling 3d character tutorials using Maya and Mudbox 2012?

Hi there I'm creating a 3d video tutorial course to sell on my website (about 80 hours long). The question I have is does the license (Maya 2012 and Mudbox 2012) allow sales of video tutorials? Searching through the licensing I have not found a clause that specifically forbids this so I would like further clarification. As far as I know, it is within the boundaries of the clause that I own all the work since I've created the video tutorial from scratch with the obvious exception that I'm displaying my use of Maya and Mudbox. I'm selling video tutorials similar to www.videocopilot.net except I will be focusing on a variety of software packages including Maya 2012 and Mudbox 2012. If someone can clarify further for me that would be much appreciated!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: yunkhang.lai

As long as you are not using the educational version and you are not reselling the program or part of the program, then I don't believe it is a problem.  People create howtos and tutorials all the time. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: TravisNave

"They" do make tutorials all the time and put them up for free on youtube and the like, but yunkhang.lai said "to sell on my website" which would probably breach the (trial/student/edu) license(s). If the licenses are full, commercial ones then there shouldn't be any problem.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: Steve_Curley

If you are going to be earning money with this and haven't set up a business before, I'd recommend consulting a lawyer to cover *all* your bases (there are more than just copyright issues to be concerned about).  At the very least sit down with somebody who has done this in your region to ensure you aren't missing anything important.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
yunkhang.lai
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks for the quick reply everyone. As stated, yes I'm selling the video tutorials.

My version of Maya and Mudbox are both commercial versions since I work as a freelancer anyway.

In terms of finding someone who has done this in my region (Australia) I have searched before and have found none so I figured here would be better.

The video tutorials are almost done, my business is set up with the essentials but as you said, legally I will need to further my research. There's so much in legal that makes my brain explode. 

Keep the posts coming while I keep asking around.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report