Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported STEP file problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
727 Views, 4 Replies

Imported STEP file problem

Hi all,

When I import a Solidworks STEP everything appears great except there are parts of the model that appear black instead of grey.  If I change the materials of one of the pieces that has black parts to it, to another color it still has the black.

This only appears in Viewport 2.0.  In Legacy High Quality viewport the black spots disappear and if I render the scene it doesn't show up.

Help please!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

You probably have flipped normals that came out during the import, select all the faces that are black and reverse normals.

other options are selecting those pieces and try Set to Face and unlock normals.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

Hmm I've tried all those things but nothing has worked.

When I try to do reverse normals it gives me the error message "Current selection doesn't match required selection type."

If it shows up correctly in the render and in Legacy, could it be a problem with Viewport 2.0?  I'd much rather work in Viewport 2.0 than Legacy.

Message 4 of 5
_sebastian_f
in reply to: Anonymous

the error is because you have nurbs surfaces. damaggio is right its the normals but you have to reverse your surfaces direction. (surfaces menu: edit nurbs > reverse surface direction).

in viewport 2.0 per default 2 sided lighting is disabled which is not respected by high quality rendering so you dont see it there. rendering works at least with simple materials but you´ll soon come to a point where you get preoblems there too. you´re better with fixing it.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: _sebastian_f

I tried reversing the surface direction but nothing seems to have changed after I did it.  I didn't get an error message though.

Turning on 2 sided lighting seems to have fixed the problem! But you're saying this isn't a good solution if I'm going to be handling more complicated materials?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report