Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Edges Not Preserved - Maya 2015

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Thissideup11
2705 Views, 12 Replies

Hard Edges Not Preserved - Maya 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to model the helmet included in the pre-packaged lessons, and the hard edges refuse to remain hard.  I've followed all the lessons' instructions, but the "Preserve Hard Edges" settings just seem to be non-functional.

I've included a picture of the low-res object on the right with the high-res object on the left, and the settings visible to the right of the pane, with the "Preserve Hard Edges" setting checked, but the edges still not hardening.

I would really appreciate some help on this.  Thanks.

-Thissideup11

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
damaggio
in reply to: Thissideup11

For open subdvision you could also use the Crease Edges tool..."Mesh Tools">crease edges and set a value that seems right.

You can also use edge loops to hold the hard edges put it will increase the poly count...it might be okay to to so for just a helmet.

Message 3 of 13
Thissideup11
in reply to: damaggio

Thanks.

I'll try the Crease Edges tool, but, I'll be honest, to say that I'm a beginner at this would be a massive understatement.  I don't know what the second thing about the edge loops means.

Any info. you think might help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

-Thissideup11

Message 4 of 13
damaggio

If you have a cube and hit the 3 key it will turn it into a ball...but if you put edge loops close to all sides of the cube when you press 3 again it will hold the shape of the cube, the closer the edge stays to the adjacent edge the harder it will look...its a good choice to use on graceful shapes that have a curvature and also sharp edges...although in some cases using the crease tool maybe advantageous.

Message 5 of 13
Thissideup11

Ok, so I tried using the Crease Edges tool.  Results are in the attached screenshot.

It made the egdes themselves more hard, but they didn't fix the shape almost at all.

Tips?

-Thissideup11

Message 6 of 13
damaggio

You have to press the 3 key and to return modeling press 1

Message 7 of 13
Thissideup11

And now I've attached a screenshot of the instructions on what is supposed to happen when you turn on the "Keep Hard Edges" attribute, which isn't happening at all for mine.

What does the 3 key do, exactly?

-Thissideup11

Message 8 of 13
damaggio

Sorry, I didn't realized you were using two meshes to do this, I'm not really familiar with this workflow so I really don't know how to help you.

It's a different approach from my normal workflow...its hard enough to work with one mesh let alone two.

As a beginner I would recommend you sticking to normal modeling technics ...one mesh either subdvision or polygon mesh.

That's how I learned and still do.

But learning new things is good....I'll definatelly take a closer look at this method.

Message 9 of 13
Thissideup11

And here is a close-up comparison between the high-res (above) and low-res (below) models.

It also shows the really weird thing that the high-res object is doing to the mouth vents.

-Thissideup11

Message 10 of 13
damaggio

And the 3 key turns into a subdvision algorythm that's calculated by Maya and many other 3D apps...invented by Pixar hence the name Catmull Clark the creators.

Message 11 of 13
Thissideup11

Just to clarify, I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing.

I'm just following exactly what these lessons tell me to do: http://docs.autodesk.com/MAYAUL/2015/ENU/GettingStarted/#!/url=./files/landing_page.htm

-Thissideup11

Message 12 of 13
Thissideup11

Also, damaggio, if you're interested, here's a description of how to use a Subdiv Proxy like the one that the lessons are having me use: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/file...

-Thissideup11

Message 13 of 13
damaggio

Great thanks Thissi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report