Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting OBJ midel incorrect

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
321 Views, 6 Replies

Exporting OBJ midel incorrect

Forgive me for my ignorance on this subject.  I'm a longtime Lightwave user who was sent a model created in Maya.  I was going to export this to OBJ so I could work with it in Lightwave and After Effects.  The problem is that some of the model is exporting as flat rectangles and not objects.  What could cause this and how could I remedy it?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
J450NP13
in reply to: Anonymous

With out any other information I am going to guess that the normals in Maya need to be reversed....but I am just spit balling here..

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: J450NP13

I'm uploading a screenshot.  Left side is Maya and right side is how it converts to obj.

Message 4 of 7
J450NP13

Not sure what's going on there.

Message 5 of 7
pshwayka

Can you zip that model and upload it? I have Lightwave, and can give it a try.

Message 6 of 7
_sebastian_f
in reply to: pshwayka

looks like a nurbs model. either you convert it to polygons (modify > convert > nurbs to polys) or try a file format like step or iges which is able to store nurbs data. if lightwave is able to deal with nurbs it should be able to read one of this files.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Thats it, thank you. I have limited experience so I've never used Nurbs. Thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report