Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the equivalent of character studio exist in Maya or as a plug-in ?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
julientromeur
374 Views, 4 Replies

Does the equivalent of character studio exist in Maya or as a plug-in ?

I'm a Max guy but I have to learn and use Maya soon, and I like many things in Character studio, so I was wondering if I could find these in Maya :

- the copy/paste from one side to the next ? (ex : you pose your left arm, just copy paste the pose to your right arm)
- the "planting key" or "sliding key" very useful for the feet
- the ability to "reuse" a .bip on another character

Does it exist ? Do some autorigs come with such features ?

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tpalamar
in reply to: julientromeur

It does not exist as a single tool. However, you can get most of the same features, albeit more of a manual process. Full body IK will give you a rig that has similar automated handles for moving the character. It is more complex to operate than character studio but it has different abilities as well. To copy animation from one joint to another you can simply highlight the channel in the channel box and copy and paste. For more advanced things like mirroring the motion you have to go through the graph editor and use Edit>Scale to flip the animated channel. As far as reusing the animation, maya has the Trax editor allowing you to save and edit animations. The animations can be used on different characters as long as they have the same hierarchy and naming convention. FBX format also supports this.
Message 3 of 5
nat99

Also SetupMachine and FaceMachine from Anzovin.
Message 4 of 5
thepodman

SetupMachine as mentioned is the closest thing to Character Studio. Also, the FBIK solver has - the copy/paste from one side to the next ? (ex : you pose your left arm, just copy paste the pose to your right arm) however, FBIK may not be that practical for traditional animation needs.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Maya's FBIK (Full Body IK) is the closest equivalent. I provides automatic rigging, pinning, works with trax and layers, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report