Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing STL, Failed to find translator.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2801 Views, 4 Replies

Importing STL, Failed to find translator.

I'm running Maya 2015 on Windows 7. A friend of mine gave me a .stl file to work with. It opens in an stlviewer, so the file should be fine, but upon importing it into Maya, I get this error. 

file -import -type "STL_DC" -ignoreVersion -ra true -mergeNamespacesOnClash false -namespace "dodecahedral_sphere_together" -pr "W:/anim/Game/scenes/dodecahedral_sphere_together.stl";
// Error: Failed to find translator. //
// Error: //
// File read in 0.0033 seconds.
// Error: line 0: Error reading file. //

I do not have stlimport.mll and cannot find a place to download it. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
_sebastian_f
in reply to: Anonymous

search for directConnect in your plugin manager and load it. if it´s not there you maybe didn´t install it. in this case run the maya install again and you should be able to chose it as seperate install.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Ugh, installing Maya is such a nightmare, network errors everywhere. Thanks, I might try that. 

Message 4 of 5
_sebastian_f
in reply to: Anonymous

i didn´t say you have to reinstall maya. directConnect is a saparate install but comes with the maya installer. if it´s not already there (did you check your plugin manager?) run the maya installer again. it will tell you that maya and mental ray is already there but should give you directConnect as option!
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Right, I run the installer and immediately get "Communication Failure" error. Yes I checked the plugins. 

At this point I just decided to make the model from scratch in Maya. =(

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report