Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select transform manipulator handles in perspective view?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
10341 Views, 11 Replies

Can't select transform manipulator handles in perspective view?

Hi all! I've been working with Maya 2016 for the past four years or so, and normally I can troubleshoot my way out of bugs, but this one's got me truly stumped.

So I open up Maya 2016. I can move the object with the manipulator handles using the left mouse button as usual. However, if I switch to any of the orthographic views and then back to perspective, I can no longer select the handles of the manipulator; I can only transform the model using the Channel Box by manually entering values.

Some specs from my computer (yeah yeah, 'get a PC', I'm saving up for a workstation lol): Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 10.13.43 PM.png

What I've tried to no avail: 

• Resetting preferences to Default; didn't work
  • creating new default preferences by labeling the prefs folder 'prefsOld'
  • uninstalling and reinstalling the software
  • Checking if the video card/its driver needs updating; I updated to High Sierra a couple of months ago and any vid card upgrades are bundled with the OS update.
  • swapping to a different mouse
  • Sacrificing a squirrel from my backyard

I also checked if this happened with files I'd already had saved and it does. The only thing that 'fixes' it it quitting Maya and reopening it, but then the same thing will happen if I try to switch between perspective and ortho views again.

I'm attaching a screen recording of the problem for reference because I genuinely have not encountered this before.

Any help is appreciated!! 

-Cristina

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

This looks like a problem with your graphic card (/ driver).
1. Make sure you use a proper 3D graphic card for Maya.
2. Update graphic card drivers.
3. Try different Viewport modes (like DirectX).

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Quickly worth a shot...

Preferences – Settings – Animation --- Switch Evaluation mode from Parallel to DG

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/fil...

Working on a Mac with Maya 2017. The above helped me out in 2016.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

The problem persist for me even though I changed to DG.

Message 5 of 12
BenBisares

I've seen similar behaviour before. It was due to an outdated GPU driver (which may be out of your hands on macOS) but it was fixed in Maya. A couple of things:

• What service pack are you running? (Maya > About Maya) You should be running at least SP6 unless you have the Extension installed
  • Try changing the rendering engine to the old OpenGL - Legacy version (Windows > Settings/Preferences > Display)Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 14.28.47.png

Let me know if that works.

Ben Bisares
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: BenBisares

Oh, hello all! 

I was running it with SP6 and installed the extension shortly after making this topic. After a little but of running around, I switched the rendering engine to OpenGL Core Profile and it worked fine from then on. 

Thanks all for your suggestions!

Message 7 of 12
BenBisares

Glad that we all could be of help

Ben Bisares
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

It's a good thing you didn't have a deadline. Your problem took an entire month to sort out, with Autodesk support nevertheless.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a good thing you didn't have a deadline. Your problem took an entire month to sort out, with Autodesk support nevertheless.

Actually, I'd managed to fix the issue about a week or so after posting, but I kept forgetting to reply to the thread to close the topic. My apologies for the confusion!

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

This solution solve my problem. 

Thank you 🙂

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks for the solution. Solved my issue after a windows update. Cheers

Message 12 of 12
mvtrappett

This also helped me fix the same problem with my Maya 2018, thank you!! This has been plaguing me for a very long time, and its now fixed!!!  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report