Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertex Normal

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
vusta
834 Views, 5 Replies

Vertex Normal

Hi,

I've created a simple mcg to display Vertex Normals. Very simple. However, when I compare the results with an Edit Normals modifier, they're not the same. Seems like the mcg compound VerticesAndNormalsToMatrices has some sort of offset in the Z axis.

Attached are results comparisons. The thin lines are what I expect, correctly displayed by the Edit Normals modifier but the arrows from my mcg which get the matrices from

the VerticesAndNormalsToMatrices compound...is 'off' by a bit...WHY ?

CompareNormals.jpg

here's my mcg, very simple...am I doing something wrong here ?

Vu_VertNormals.jpg

also attached is my mcg.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
vusta
in reply to: vusta

I fixed it my self...the VerticesAndNormalsToMatrices compound should use RotationBetweenUnitVectors COMPOUND rather than the RotationBetweenVectors OPERATOR

VertNormalsFix.jpg

Message 3 of 6
vusta

there's the dreaded -Z normal bug with this....ie..at the bottom of the box...any vert normal pointing straight down (all -Z) will not show up.

here's my workaround, for a pure -Z vector, it nudges it slightly in XY plane.

And please thank Swordslayer for many of his compounds.

Message 4 of 6
vusta

here's a better solution without any 'nudging'

NormalsFix.jpg

Message 5 of 6
galagast

Hi, I'm just browsing/studying the image graphs you posted and havent opened the actual files yet..

I just noticed this:

Forum_Image_001.JPG

Although, I suppose that was just a typo for the group box name since you probably have the graph working as you need it 🙂

Message 6 of 6
vusta
in reply to: galagast

the op is correct, the comment is wrong...there is another post that I mentioned this 'incorrect' comment (as supplied by AD) but I can't seem to find it...will post when I find it 🙂

ahh here it is..but it's on FB so you might have to join the group to read:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1611269852441897/search/?query=-z%20normal

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report