MapGuide Enterprise Wishes

*Jason Birch
Message 1 of 10 (691 Views)

FDO provider for PostGIS

691 Views, 9 Replies
04-19-2006 10:28 PM
MySQL support is nice, but PostGIS is way more functional. This would
be a good bridge between SDF and Oracle/SQLServer/SDE. A bridge that
many might get half-way across and decide they like the view.

It would be really great if this was also bundled with Map 3D and Civil 3D.

Jason
JohnNoZ
Message 2 of 10 (691 Views)

Re: FDO provider for PostGIS

07-12-2006 08:38 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
I agree completely, Jason. PostGIS is one of the most important data sources in the GIS open source community.

Hopefully, if such a FDO provider is not placed inside these products, the open source community will respond with one, themselves.
andreasneumann3662
Message 3 of 10 (691 Views)

10-08-2007 01:58 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
I agree that Postgis support is much more important than MySQL support. Postgis is a lot more advanced and is supported by almost all open source projects and many commercial offers, such as ESRI ArcGIS 9.3 (upcoming), Safe Software FME, etc. - so please Autodesk - support a Postgis FDO provider!
andreasneumann3662
Message 4 of 10 (691 Views)

10-08-2007 02:03 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
additionally, as far as I know, the licence allows Autodesk to bundle PostgreSQL/Postgis with Autodesk products and sell support for a postgis based solution
*Jason Birch
Message 5 of 10 (691 Views)

10-08-2007 07:55 PM in reply to: *Jason Birch
aneumann wrote:
> additionally, as far as I know, the licence allows Autodesk to bundle PostgreSQL/Postgis with Autodesk products and sell support for a postgis based solution

Well... sort of. PostGIS itself is GPL (whereas PostgreSQL is BSD
which is much more permissive), so there are some potential issues there
combining open and closed source.

There is an open source PostGIS provider in the works. Anyone with time
to help out with testing (or development) would be appreciated.

http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FdoPostGISNotes

Jason
andreasneumann3662
Message 6 of 10 (691 Views)

10-10-2007 01:46 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
yes - I know, Postgis is GPL and PostgreSQL is BSD (more liberal) - but if Postgis is kept as a separate product und just interfaced properly and nothing built on top or around postgis it can be commercially supported (not sold as a product of course).

I will try out the FDO Postgis provider later. I am pretty new with Autodesk software and first have to learn other Mapguide stuff before targetting Postgis.
Contributor
dorra2007
Message 7 of 10 (691 Views)

11-30-2007 03:16 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
Hello Mateusz

I am using the latest version of the postgis provider with autodesk mapguide studio and I have a problem.
When I create a postgis feature source using a specific database, I can fin the features classes (that represent tables in the postgis database), but when I want to update my database (I added new spatial table to the postgis database), the featureSource is not updated, and I can't create a new layer using the new table (because it's not displayed in the feature class list.) I think that I am missing something.
Can you help me please.
*macieksk
Message 8 of 10 (691 Views)

02-07-2008 02:03 PM in reply to: *Jason Birch
> I am using the latest version of the postgis provider with autodesk mapguide studio and I have a problem.
> When I create a postgis feature source using a specific database, I can fin the features classes (that represent tables in the postgis database), but when I want to update my database (I added new spatial table to the postgis database), the featureSource is not updated, and I can't create a new layer using the new table (because it's not displayed in the feature class list.) I think that I am missing something.
> Can you help me please.

yes i have this same problem...
Contributor
dorra2007
Message 9 of 10 (691 Views)

02-08-2008 03:04 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
some DLLs are missing in the system32 file and FDO file.
Use "Dependency Walker" to find out the missing DLLs, download them and copy them in the appropriate files.
Contributor
dorra2007
Message 10 of 10 (691 Views)

02-08-2008 03:26 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
You must first copy the bin files from the postgresql to
the bin folder in autodesk studio.

some DLLs are missing in the system32 folder and FDO folder.
Use "Dependency Walker" to find out the missing DLLs, download them and copy them in the appropriate folders.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.