Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishlist for the next Service Pack or RC

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sepfs
550 Views, 5 Replies

Wishlist for the next Service Pack or RC

Dear Autodesk team,

I noted some of the problems I have with Pblisher and I would like to share them with you hoping that they will be solved  in the next service pack. As soon as I encounter more issues I will add them here. I would like to invite others to contribute too.

My Version is 2015 SP1 and  my machine works like a charm otherwise. (I3, 16GB Ram, Nvidia Graphics) Because I have a non English version of the program will not be ble to call the functions/menu items as they are named in Englis but I will try to describe it to the best of my abilities.

Problems that definetely need to be fixed for me are:

1) Metric System
Include the Metric system in Publisher so that people can choose.

2) Custom Properties

I absolutely must have full access to custom properties in Part lists. I wonder why I can select them in callouts and yet they do not appear anywhere as selectable columns in the parts list. This is a major drawback for me and literally costs more time to cope with than I gain by using publisher.

3) More flexibility with the part lists import/export

I would like to see an import function for part lists too where the content can be independent from Inventor.

4) Sorting of parts and part lists

Please include the possibility to re-arrange the order of the parts in the tree and the possibility to sort part lists with a filter.

5) Speed improvements

Pblisher is sluggish as hell I do not even dare to work with it in the network. The program has major performance issues even with only one smaller model.

6) Constant crashes

For whatever reason the program sometimes crashes when I open an already existing file. It does that several times in a row. Also it randomly crashes when working with it. I sent error reports by the dozen. It is hard to describe when it crashes because I can see no commen reson for the crashes.

7) Individal snapshots

I would also like to se the possibility to work with snapshot completely independent from one another. Currently the only thing that helpsis that one hides the parts that are not needed for a specific snapshot. If you need 3 models for example you would have to hide 2 if showing something from the third one yet the other two are somewhat bloating the whole thing making it even more sluggish.

😎 Independent views for each model

If one works with more than one model in the same snapshot and both are displayed it would be very helpful (for me) I one could change the behviour of the program so that I can rotate models individally if need be.

9) Snap/Zoom to workspace size

Sometimes it would be very good to click on a button and the complete assemble, including callouts, would zoom to the exact size of the work/export area (of course only in length or width).

Cheers

Stefan

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
coreyparks
in reply to: sepfs

This is just a quick list of what I sent Autodesk previously.  The first one in my list and number 4 in yours has been slightly addressed.  When editing the BOM you can click and hold on a line of the BOM and manually move it to a new position in the list, I think you have to select on the far left of the line.  Not the best but it definitly has helped me out.  I could easily come up with more if I was working in the software currently but I have other Inventor projects to do right now.

1. Add the ability to sort the BOM – Currently all lines of the BOM need to be manually renumbered to guarantee that they are in numerical order, especially after doing an update from the IAM file.
  2. There is no parametric link between the BOM item number and the Item number in the balloon. When you manually renumber you then have to erase and replace all the balloons on the snapshot or risk missing something and having balloons incorrect.
  3. Some sort of feedback, similar to Inventor, that tells you if all items on the snapshot have been ballooned.
  4. Some system to save styles and have them hold their settings as you saved them. I have to edit the style every time I start a new IPB file.
  5. Templates for IPB files, enough said.
  6. Speed needs to be increased dramatically! Inventor handles all of my files with no problem but my files pretty much bring Publisher to its knees.
  7. Snap shots need to be lockable so that your view can’t get inadvertently rotated.
  8. Zoom function is designed totally wrong. Zoom should scale the whole publish area not scale the parts shown in the publish area. Think of how Inventor IDW’s work currently.
  9. Selecting parts to balloon or move can be very difficult as it always selects the part at the lowest level even though you want to balloon the subassembly that part is contained in. It should honor all of the setting from inventor for, normal, phantom, purchased, etc. Having to point at a part and balloon it to get a blank balloon because it is part of weldment just makes no sense.
  10. Export to Microsoft Word works pretty sketchy. It usually takes me having to export, close Publisher, reopen publisher and the IPB and export again several times before I get something that is usable. I say usable because there are always weird things that I can’t keep from happening. Balloons showing up where there are none, balloons being scaled randomly, balloons being tilted to the side, parts cut off in the middle of the assembly, etc.
  11. The little preview pictures in the parts list generate wrong quite frequently. You need to edit the parts list and close it to get them to regenerate possibly several times before they are all shown correctly. Other times they are correct when the parts list is first placed but I want to stretch the parts list to make it longer and it regenerates all the previews wrong and nothing I do other than deleting and recreating fixes them, but of course since there are no fixed styles the width of the parts list is wrong again.
  12. Snap shots should be treated more like a sheet in an IDW.   All annotations should be unique to that snapshot or at least identified in the browser as being attached to that snapshot. Turning off some annotations can be a nightmare if you want them visible again later.
  13. See number 12 but this time using the components that are placed.
  14. The BOM is difficult to get to work correctly. Parts set as purchased in Inventor filter up to the top level of the BOM no matter you do. Other parts filter up as well if Inventor assemblies are not set to normal in the BOM. It is a nightmare as anytime I add a bolt or a nut in Inventor it comes in set as purchased by default. It also means we lose functionality on the Inventor side having to change all of the just to get it to show up correctly in the manual.
  15. View reps need to be supported fully and accessible at any time. Currently it depends on how you insert the components and then they can be removed. Not sure if they stay parametric to the IAM from Inventor but I would guess not.
  16. After we create a manual we often make changes to the design or just rename parts in the Inventor design to give them an in house stock number. Publisher does not handle any updates well. Any parts that were simply renamed move back to their home position in publisher. Balloons move off into space or lose their link to a part and go blank. Whenever an update is done I need to do one heck of a lot of work to get the snapshot back up to par again.
  17. Mobile format needs to honor all color overrides from the IPB file. It really upsets one to get parts all setup right with transparencies and colors only to realize that the mobile file totally ignores all of it. It is especially upsetting when you did all that work only to publish to the mobile format.
  18. This one is the most important of all. Fix the unknown error that corrupts your working file!!!!!!!!!! I have this happen regularly and the only fix is to delete the file and start from scratch. I had one manual that took about 4 hours to complete and then we had to do some design changes. I open the IPB file and do the updates, spending about 1-1/2 hours or so fixing all of the weird glitches with balloons, part locations and BOM part line visibility. I then close and reopen to export, this seems to have the best chance of the cleanest Word export. Only I can no longer open the file, Unknown Error! I had to rebuild from scratch 2 more times after this and I hope the design never changes again because I don’t want to do it a forth time.From what I can see this error has been around for at least the last 4 versions of Publisher.
Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 3 of 6
bowen192
in reply to: coreyparks

Agree with most of those, however...

@coreyparks wrote:

8. Zoom function is designed totally wrong. Zoom should scale the whole publish area not scale the parts shown in the publish area. Think of how Inventor IDW’s work currently.

12. Snap shots should be treated more like a sheet in an IDW.   All annotations should be unique to that snapshot or at least identified in the browser as being attached to that snapshot. Turning off some annotations can be a nightmare if you want them visible again later.

8. If the zoom function scaled the whole publish area, you wouldn't be able to publish an image or video to a specified area.

12. I think the opposite to this.  If I am creating an animation, I don't want everything turning off when I create a new snapshot. It would massively increase workload.  In fact, one of Publisher's weakness' is that you cannot keep a Detail View between snapshots.

In addition to those above I would also ask for the following:

1. a moveable light source
  2. the ability to bring the Move tool from off the screen
  3. the ability to rename Selections
  4. more extreme viewport fidelity
  5. Improved section view / hatching - it all sort of blends into one mess at the moment.

I'm sure I will think of more ; )

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 6
cts2013
in reply to: bowen192

3. The ability to rename selection

If it's a saved selection, you can. Simply double click the selection and then you can overtype it.

- - - > Publisher 2016 running on: - - -

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit
Message 5 of 6
bowen192
in reply to: cts2013

@cts2013 wrote:

3. The ability to rename selection

If it's a saved selection, you can. Simply double click the selection and then you can overtype it.

So you can!

Noticed it is alot easier to add/remove parts as well.

Cheers.

Message 6 of 6
coreyparks
in reply to: bowen192

I didn't say exactly like an IDW.  I don't want a new snapshot to start blank, copying the previous one is fine and what I would prefer.  It's just I made the mistake of turning off some annotations and there was no easy way to turn them back on as there was nothing telling me which annotation belonged on the current sheet. 

As for the zoom function you prefer that it scales the parts and not the view?  So many times I want to be able to zoom in to select a part to balloon and if I do the parts get bigger and the balloons stay the same size making it very difficult yo place the annotations properly.  Also when I am ballooning a view I have it set up for the proper zoom factor and viewing angle it will have when published and one inadvertent turn of the wheel or one bump of the space pilot and its all messed up.  At the very least the view needs to be lockable.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report