Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vector save time

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
DougSchmucker
1133 Views, 8 Replies

Vector save time

What can I do to improve vector save time?  I am expericencing long save times which is not acceptable to get work done effiently.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
peggy.wang
in reply to: DougSchmucker

When the publish to vector operation is finished, the cursor is always display as busy circle. This is a cursor display issue. Actually, the publish operation is done, and you can move the cursor, then it will change to normal style.

Peggy Wang
Sr. Software QA Engineer
Publisher Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
DougSchmucker
in reply to: peggy.wang

I saved a model yesterday and it took 12 minutes to save this file. This is not acceptable save time for me. I am doing what you are asking about the circle clock with the busy signal and watching when it exactly is done saving.  I can tell exactly when it is done by by watching the destination file. As I am watching the destination svg file, the computer puts in the file size when it is done.  The file size reads  0 while it is processing the save and then 12 minutes later ithe computer puts the file size on the file while I am watching it, so I knew exactly when it was done.  I think your IS dept needs to look at this and find a way to save faster. I am running 12 gig of memory now with quad 4 processor, so the computer is not the problem. Under 5 minute saves would be acceptable to me.

Message 4 of 9
peggy.wang

Is your Inventor file vefy huge? Publish to vector operation will call the Inventor ASM server to do the translation. It really taks some time.

Usually, we will look at the published SVG file size, it is 0 byte at the beginning, and it will change to correct file size after publish to vector even now the cursor is still busy.

Thank you for posting your feedback in Newsgroup.

Peggy Wang
Sr. Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
DougSchmucker

It is a large assembly, around 320 parts, but it is the same parts that Inventor CAD manages and prints in less than ? the time. I do understand the busy signal which I am not taking into consideration when I am timing it. All I am timing is the time Publisher is going from 0 to whatever file size it is and that is when it is done saving it to my drive. Doug ________________________________ This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged, confidential, or proprietary information which may be protected from disclosure under law, and is intended solely for the use of the individual, group, or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipients, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your assistance.
Message 6 of 9
peggy.wang

According to your description, this should be a preformance issue when publish to Vector. Thank you for the post and your feedack is counted.

Peggy Wang
Sr. Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 9
DougSchmucker

Is this a software performance issue or a hardware performance issue? If it is a software performance issue, can Autodesk address this before the next Publisher release next year? We are also going to be upgrading hardware in the near future, so what are your recommendations for hardware. Would a solid state hard drive help? Please reply. ________________________________ This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged, confidential, or proprietary information which may be protected from disclosure under law, and is intended solely for the use of the individual, group, or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipients, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your assistance.
Message 8 of 9
peggy.wang

It's more like the software preformance issue. And upgrade the hardware may speed up the whole publish time.

I am not sure about your working OS, we recommand to use x64bit OS. Here are some tips: especially for LOD, you can create some substitute LOD in inventor and insert the LOD file in publisher. That will save some time.

Please also see attached zip file to get the hardware recommendation.

Tips to control virtual memory usage:

• One file per Publisher session - Open only one file per Publisher session when dealing with large capacity Publisher documents. Publisher currently does not free up memory when previously opened documents are closed in the same session.
  • Use DWF - Inserting DWF files instead of the actual Inventor model can consume less memory. DWF files are lighter models than the original model.
  • Use Inventor files with Level of Detail (LOD) representations - Publisher can insert an Inventor assembly file using the last active LOD. Using a non-Master LOD typically simplifies the geometry of the model, thereby reducing virtual memory usage.
  • Enable 3GB switch - Enabling the 3GB switch on a 32-bit Windows OS increases the virtual memory on a machine. Refer Microsoft website on how to turn on 3GB switch and its advantages.
  • x64 OS - Upgrading to a 64-bit Windows OS eliminates capacity issues. 64-bit OS is recommended for large files used in Publisher.

Peggy Wang
Sr. Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 9
miQlo

Im experiencing the same problems and I agree that it is not acceptable. If I output the same model to vector in a competitive application it takes around 5 seconds. You really should develop the vector output a lot.

Win 7 Pro 64bit

12GB RAM

Intel Xeon 2x3.2 GHz

NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB

Solid States Drives

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report