Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This may help you decide whether to buy Publisher

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cts2013
981 Views, 3 Replies

This may help you decide whether to buy Publisher

I have been using tolerating Publisher for a few months now, as a new user. My company particularly liked the fact that Word documents would update if the model was changed by the CAD guys. 

From day 1, it was slow and clunky. My company use large models cos.... we build large machines! It was so slow that I was seriously thinking about asking for some training on Publisher as the software was so slow to respond, you couldn't teach yourself as you went along.  We were told that my quad core, 8gb machine was no good. I installed the demo onto a more powerful computer and it improved quite noticabley.

Based on that, we bought a more powerful machine (i7 3.5ghz, 16gb RAM, SSD hard disk,Nvidia Quadro K4000 gfx card). It was hit and miss. Tried support and was told to update the software to the latest SP. Did all that, still hit and miss. Until I got this in an email:

I’ve had confirmation back from Autodesk about the performance problems in publisher. They say that:

I got an update from development. According to them, the geometry of this model is too big for Publisher to handle. Publisher does not use the same mechanism as Inventor uses to open/save file, and render model. So basically Publisher cannot run as faster as Inventor does.
Due to Publisher self-limitation, it would be better to use this model in a way divided into smaller modules.

After some further discussions with Autodesk the advice I provided previously would be the best practice to move forward. Essentially you need to break down the models into smaller chunks and reduce the amount of detail showing where possible."

So everything that we liked about the program is not possible! If you are thinking of buying Publisher, please take my advice and ask them to demo it to you using YOUR models - not the tiny little models that they provide which display/ update/ render in the blink of an eye!

I hope that helps

Regards

CTS

- - - > Publisher 2016 running on: - - -

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Sadik899
in reply to: cts2013

Hi CTS,

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of acquiring publisher. How big is your file? I want to compare the file size with mine. If I do 'pack & go' my model size is 64.13mb that has 332 files. Not sure if that is a good way to compare size.

Cheers,

Sadik

Message 3 of 4
cts2013

I've just checked a model that I gave up with: 314mb over 1517 files.

This is one of our smaller assemblies!

HTH

cts2013

Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit
Message 4 of 4
cts2013

Best way to check is to get the trial and install the latest service packs (cos that is all that Autodesk will ask you to do). See how it goes I guess!

Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report