Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rotation around center

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
todwallace
2252 Views, 4 Replies

rotation around center

I am tired of looking in help.  I need to rotate a part around the axis (that I want to specify, not center of gravity), or the axis on another part.  When I use align all it does is attach to the cylindrical surface, not the center.  

Any help greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dmjessup
in reply to: todwallace

If you are doing what I think, you can use the Full Navigation Wheel to set the center anywhere you want, then when you go to rotate (not move), it will rotate around that set center. So, with a combination of moves you can move one part to the center of rotation and the other part to the orbiting position. When you orbit using Rotate, it will turn around the set center (which is then your part).  Hope that helps.

If you are trying to rotate one part around another with move, it helps to create a half-circle arrow using "Linear", center it and then you can follow the edge of the circle as a guide for moving the other part. Just delete out the arrow when you are done.

Message 3 of 5
todwallace
in reply to: dmjessup

Not much help.  Ex:  Need to put a "wheel" on an axle and rotate the wheel.  How do I align to the axis of the axle.  (just an example).  This is a swing arm, assemble in one place then rotate to final place.

Message 4 of 5
Jon.Balgley
in reply to: dmjessup

Wow, great trick!  

Just to clarify, you can create a semi-circular arrow using the "Circular" arrow command (hidden behind the "Linear" arrow button).  Circular arrows do the "right thing" when you select a cylindrical face or circular edge.  Then you can multi-select the arrow (first) and the desired part, and then the Move command, and the triad will be aligned with the arrow, and hence the part will rotate about the proper axis.

We do understand that the Align sub-command of the Move command does not do the "right thing" for circular edges.

--Jon

Jon Balgley
Message 5 of 5
todwallace
in reply to: Jon.Balgley

Thank you.  That works.  A few more steps than I thought it should be, but works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report