Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publisher taking a long time to save file.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
VictorBDEngineer
1313 Views, 7 Replies

Publisher taking a long time to save file.

Publisher 2013 SP1 seems to take a long time to save a file. My current file has 246 parts imported from Inventor, with 11 snapshots and it takes at least 20 seconds to save my ipb file after I have made a few changes. I am saving frequently. If I dont publisher crashes and I lose all my work. So a long save makes working with publisher a real pain.

Any ideas why it takes so long. I have attached a file with my basic system information.

Regards

Victor Pringle

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your post. Can you please tell me how large the CAD assembly is that you imported into Publisher? Also, how large of a file the IPB results in? Your specs for your machine look sufficient, so this is probably an issue of very large assembly performance...

Thanks,

Timera Hart

Autodesk

Message 3 of 8

The Inventor files occupy 3.53Mb excluding a few library files. and the IBP file is 2.94Mb. I consider the Inventor model to be a small one with only 247 parts (100 off those are the same part). I have attached the bom.

Regards

Victor

Message 4 of 8

Hmm that is a rather small assembly. If you wouldn't mind sharing your IPB file via email I can look into this problem for you further. You can reach me at Timera.Hart@Autodesk.com

Thanks,
Timera
Message 5 of 8

I have been observing what is happening when I do a save.

If I have an assembly with only some items visible in the presentation  area then when I save Publisher makes all the hidden items visible then makes them invisible again one at a time. There is a perceptable delay between each hiding of an item.

I would have thought that the display would not have to change when the file is saved as saving should be completely independant of what is being displayed.

Hope this helps in finding out what is happening.

Regards

Victor

Message 6 of 8

Hi Victor,

Unfortunately, the flickering of the hidden lines is due to a performance issue with your video card. Please ensure you are using the latest drivers. In particular, Nvidia cards have the biggest problems in this area we have noticed.

If updating your driver doesn’t work, you can work around the problem by disabling the performance optimization that exposes the bug:

In the file %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Inventor Publisher 2013\en-US\Catalyst-Settings-Display.xml change the line “<DisableRetainedRenders>false</DisableRetainedRenders>” to “<DisableRetainedRenders>true</DisableRetainedRenders>”

The “%userprofile%” should be typed in to explorer or whatever literally as it will be translated by the system to their “home” directory.

Also, it looks like your RAM is what's causing the save time - sorry there wasn't more we could do for you here.

Happy Publishing!

Timera

Autodesk

Message 7 of 8

Updating the graphic drivers seems to help a little along with just running Publisher.

The 'DisableRetainedRenders' set to true does not make a difference.

Regards

Victor

Message 8 of 8

I just had enough listening to these poor excuses (Sorry for my language). But I want you to hear a little of my frustration!

Nvidia cards are very popular and in ranking 2012 one of them was the second best. So instead of blaming Nvidia cards get over it and fix your bloody crap software which is very annoying.

Your solution regarding to updating the driver and manipulating that file did not work as well. Everything in bloody Autodesk regarding to customer service is crap. But in terms of chasing you every second day calling you saying 'we have a really cool offer to upgrade your package' they are perfect. About a month ago I expressed my feeling regarding my problems in Publisher to your local agent in Cape Town but again nothing happened!

We are busy to transfer my Autodesk license from Australia to South Africa for almost a year now!

The service is so so so so poor! 

BTW, can you please give the the head of your organization (Autodesk/Publisher) contact details because I had seriously enough!

Ali

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report