Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publisher 2012 Service Pack 2 is now available

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
rajkumar.ilanchelian
956 Views, 19 Replies

Publisher 2012 Service Pack 2 is now available

Publisher 2012 Service Pack 2 is now available for download here.

Thanks,
-Raj (Autodesk)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Thanks

I will down load and try soon.

What about IP 2011 R1 hotfix or SP?

Publisher team. Are you still supporting Ip 2011 R1?

Thanks

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2016
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
Message 3 of 20

Is anyone else's Publisher acting strange since this update was applied?

Mine crashes roughly every half hour and also comes up with random bugs.

Today I've had:

The 'Save Selection' option not saving to the selection bar on the left but as a right click for some reason,

Unable to colour certain segments.  Again.

Message 4 of 20

Are you getting a crash error report that you can submit? If so please submit them with any information you can provide. It will be very helpful for us to diagnose the crash. I currently do not see any crash reports from Sp2.

“Unable to color certain segments.  Again.”

Is this the 3D PDF output issue that you are talking about? We have addressed this issue in Sp2 however there is a limitation by 3D PDF where if there is a color change from one slide to the next then these changes will not be shown. This is a PDF limitation. If it is not the above can you please explain a little more about the issue?

Thanks,
-Raj (Autodesk)
Message 5 of 20

As much as I hate to mention it, it is possible to uninstall SP2.  If you really suspect these are new problems, you can uninstall it and try again with only SP1.

I certainly hope you don't find any regressions in SP2.  We put great effort towards making service packs regression-free.  SP2 will be extremely valuable to many people -- it fixes a number of critical defects, some reported by active participants here on the forum.  And perhaps most importantly, it provides an automatic "backup file" mechanism, so users can recover their work in case there are additional unexpected defects.

Jon Balgley
Message 6 of 20
Jon.Balgley
in reply to: stevenguy

Steve -- At this point, we do not plan to have any more service packs for Publisher 2011.

Jon Balgley
Message 7 of 20
bowen192
in reply to: Jon.Balgley

@Jon.Balgley wrote:

As much as I hate to mention it, it is possible to uninstall SP2.  If you really suspect these are new problems, you can uninstall it and try again with only SP1.

I certainly hope you don't find any regressions in SP2.  We put great effort towards making service packs regression-free.  SP2 will be extremely valuable to many people -- it fixes a number of critical defects, some reported by active participants here on the forum.  And perhaps most importantly, it provides an automatic "backup file" mechanism, so users can recover their work in case there are additional unexpected defects.

Publisher hasn't once saved a backup for me.

How would I go about uninstalling SP2?

Message 8 of 20
bowen192
in reply to: bowen192

Add another one Smiley Very Happy

Now the status of the items in the left menu bare no resemblence to the actual status of the model. ie menu shows they are not displayed, but they clearly are.

Message 9 of 20
bowen192

Now I can't select the Move tool.

I might set up my own thread.

Message 10 of 20
bowen192

Tried to select a part for a move.  The plain directions for some reason decided to go in 5 different directions.

Clicked off and clicked back on and it crashed.

No backup file.

Good day today.

Message 11 of 20
Jon.Balgley

Backup files should be saved under the "OldVersions" folder, in the same location as the original IPB file.  If they are not being saved there, please let us know.

If you want to uninstall SP2, you need to go to the Windows "Add/Remove Programs" (aka "Uninstall Programs") window (this is slightly different in each version of Windows), and then select the "View Installed Updates" option.  The updates for each program are listed there.  This will allow you to uninstall SP2 and go back to SP1.  If you decide to go this route, I hope that you will report back on what happens.

Jon Balgley
Message 12 of 20
bowen192

Uninstalled SP2.

Seems to work a bit better.

Only crashed twice this morning, once when changing a component style, and once when selecting a custom selection.

No backup (as I'm not on SP now) but I've only lost an hours work this morning which is pretty good.

EDIT: Just noticed that, despite saving it almost every ten minutes, it hasn't saved my work once today.  So I'm actually back to where I was at 0830 this morning.

Message 13 of 20
Mark_Wigan

hi bowen192, i am just wondering did that sp2 ever get sorted? it seemed pretty bad from what i saw.

i use inventor but we just got publisher 2012 for our guys to do manuals with, but i jumped on myself & had a bit of a go to see how it performed, then after i found some issues, downloaded and installed sp1 & sp2 just now and by doing so completey lost the ability to manually explode.

i had a look for a hot fix and found none... just the sp1 & 2 that i had already scored.

after reading a few threads on here i uninstalled sp2. considering this was released several months ago i am wondering if i am missing something. Autodesk usually takes a while to fixing their software but i am surprised they seem to be ignoring this.

besides that. i am looking for a way to make templates, export to pdf without proportions of image distorting and a few other things that do not seem to work or allow users to configure options to control it.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 14 of 20
bowen192
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

@Mark_Wigan wrote:

hi bowen192, i am just wondering did that sp2 ever get sorted? it seemed pretty bad from what i saw.

i use inventor but we just got publisher 2012 for our guys to do manuals with, but i jumped on myself & had a bit of a go to see how it performed, then after i found some issues, downloaded and installed sp1 & sp2 just now and by doing so completey lost the ability to manually explode.

i had a look for a hot fix and found none... just the sp1 & 2 that i had already scored.

after reading a few threads on here i uninstalled sp2. considering this was released several months ago i am wondering if i am missing something. Autodesk usually takes a while to fixing their software but i am surprised they seem to be ignoring this.

besides that. i am looking for a way to make templates, export to pdf without proportions of image distorting and a few other things that do not seem to work or allow users to configure options to control it.

I've just read back all my posts; my, my, I'm an angry young man.

Short answer

It is better, but there are lots of frustrating crashes still and performance is a major issue.

Long answer 

From what I've seen and read on here over the last few months, it seems Publisher's main issue is dealing with lots of components.  If you look at any complaints on here, they are always from people with large amounts of components in their models.  If you have less than 100 components, it seems to be fine.

Application errors I still have include;

Applying styles; if you change Styles on sub-components, changing a style for the whole assembly does not work.

Setting affected snapshots; changing styles and backgrounds over multiple snapshots often doesn't work.

Crashes at least twice a day.  Wouldn't be so bad if it ever saved a backup file or if saving large models didn't take so long. 

I could go on all day.  Autodesk do seem to be responding and interacting with us now though.  This time last year, it would take a month for them to get back to you.  Now you get a response within a day.  Timera seems particularly enthusiastic.

Message 15 of 20
TimeraAutodesk

The Backup file will be placed directly into a folder called OldVersions, with SP2 installed are you not seeing this folder being created at all?

OldVersions.png

Message 16 of 20
TimeraAutodesk

Hi Guys -

While it's true that very large assemblies bog down performance within Publisher, I think I'm beginning to understand where some of these crashing and performance issues are coming from. In case you weren't aware, SP2 will only work if you have SP1 completely unistalled first. I apologize if that wasn't made clear before.

Do me a favor and uninstall both SP1 and SP2 from your drives, restart your machine and then install ONLY SP2.

Then let me know if you see a difference 🙂

Thanks,

Timera Hart

Autodesk

Message 17 of 20
Mark_Wigan

thanks bowen192. knowing that will save me time trying to figure out if i was missing something or if it was just the software.

Timera, i appreciate that reply. that explains a lot... i had installed sp1 and then sp2 (which from my experience that requirement is typical for the family of autodesk products i have been using) so i am surprised to hear that sp1 had to be uninstalled prior to sp2. (i had read through the help "readme" files to see if there were any notes on this and saw none. you should make sure that kind of thing is very clear on the download page for those kind of updates and service packs). is it too low brow of me to suggest that Autodesk please consider your customers time is vaulable and maybe  some testing at your end before you sell software or roll out updates without including important information.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 18 of 20
bowen192
in reply to: TimeraAutodesk

@TimeraAutodesk wrote:

The Backup file will be placed directly into a folder called OldVersions, with SP2 installed are you not seeing this folder being created at all?

OldVersions.png

It's there, but the documents are just a history of user saves, which I fail to see a use for.

There never appears to be a crash file.

Message 19 of 20
smilinger

Do I need to install SP1 first then SP2? I see no instruction about this in the readme.

Message 20 of 20
bowen192
in reply to: smilinger

@smilinger wrote:

Do I need to install SP1 first then SP2? I see no instruction about this in the readme.

No, do not install SP1.  Just install SP2.

Can't believe it's not in the readme!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report