Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Inventor's Material Library to Publisher's Material Library

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
SenecaAllen8027
1112 Views, 6 Replies

Linking Inventor's Material Library to Publisher's Material Library

I have created a new style from pictures of a product to give a model a more realistic appearance.  When I import the file into Publisher the style that was created in Inventor does not import into publisher.  Is there any way to create a new style that will import from Inventor into Publisher or am I stuck with only the materials from the Autodesk Material Library. If I can create a new style that will work between Inventor and Publisher, how do I go about doing it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi Allen,

Inventor Publisher does not support custom materials from Inventor (or any other program). For now, you can apply any material from the Autodesk Library or the basic Publisher Material library provided in the marking menu.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions!

Timera

Autodesk

Message 3 of 7

I am curious if anyone can help me. I am creating short animations with Publisher using Inventor models. I have my own style library in Inventor to apply a more realistic view. When I import these files into Publisher, a majority of the time the color comes with the parts. However, I have noticed that if the individual part is a different color than the color of the part in the assembly (for instance, a part that is originally steel and gets painted in the assembly), that about 50% of the time the color in the Publisher file is gray (for steel).

I have been able to get around this somewhat by saving the color & material definition to the Inventor style library (which I am assuming is linked somewhat to that Autodesk style library).

My question is this: why am I able to create the style in Inventor, save it to the Inventor library and sometimes the style is imported into Publisher while other times it is not?

Is Publisher going to allow creating your own style library at some point? Is there a different step I need to take to get my colors to appear the way I need them to? Keep in mind that I need the parts to be steel colored as a part and painted in assemblies (I am building my models off of a database that is used for multiple tasks).

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 7
irene.chen
in reply to: jon_crowson

Hi,

Please see my answer below,

1) Inventor Publisher doesn't support the customized styles/material from Inventor.

2) Inventor Publisher can't create the matieral library, it just supports to apply the materials from Autodesk library. 

I've added 2 wishlist in our issue tracking system, Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks

Irene

Message 5 of 7
FrankeFS

I noticed that Publisher does a better job importing customized materials + colors if importet as .dwfx. Therefore try to export the assembly or the single part as .dwfx from Inventor. However Publisher won`t allow you to copy the material and collor settings of .dwfx files and apply them to other parts.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
Intel Xeon CPU X5650 12x2.66GHz
24.0 GB
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 14071MB

Autodesk Inventor 2013
Autodesk Revit 2013
Autodesk Showcase 64Bit 2013
Autodesk Inventor Publisher 2013
Message 6 of 7

Thanks. I'll give that a shot next time.

Message 7 of 7
JBerns

Be aware that by exporting a DWFx from Inventor you have broken associativity with the original Inventor model.

An update in Inventor will not be seen by Inventor Publisher.

Regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report