Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Publisher 2015 any better for you?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cts2013
598 Views, 7 Replies

Is Publisher 2015 any better for you?

Has it improved from previous versions? Does it do what it says on the tin? Do you still crave additional functionality?

• I think it is a tad more stable than 2013/2013R1.

• I still can't use large assemblies. I have to break down the assembly into sub assemblies and dwf them. This means we lose the benefit of Vault integration; meaning that when the iam is updated, Publisher does nothing cos I'm using a dwf.

• I would like to see custom styles retained. Your custom style isn't added to the default list - it only applies to the file you were working in.

• I would like to see the logic of inserting new models and not appearing on other snap shots addressed - as per:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-publisher/inserting-model-into-new-storyboard/m-p/4596257#M19...

• Saving a file still takes an age. As mentioned previously, I am using dwfs only. If I have a few of these in my project, my ipb can easily exceed 100mb (I have some >300mb). This isn't a pc/ network issue. Also, whilst taking an age to save, my 16gb of RAM pretty much disappears and Publisher locks up - it's only 'cos I know' to leave it for 20minutes that it eventually saves - I think the average user might just end task it.

I would like to see other peoples comments on this - we might even end up with a list that Autodesk address so we get the tools that we want...

cts2013

- - - > Publisher 2016 running on: - - -

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
bowen192
in reply to: cts2013

It is a tad more stable, but the first large assembly I've tried has corrupted the file again.

Custom styles has been requested since day dot.

I'd make a list of the loads of ideas I've got but, to be honest, I can't be bothered. When Publisher 2013 came out I regularly contributed on here making suggestions for new Publisher (as did many other people). Of the hundreds of suggestions suggested not one has been incorporated two years down the line. Not one.

I hear what you are saying about inserting models, but I guess some people might prefer it that way, especially if they are replacing parts.  I do this:

Insert model.

Set affected Snapshots > Within Document > All Snapshots

Turn off visibility of the model

Clcik off the snapshots.

Anyway, I'm looking into Publisher alternatives now.

Message 3 of 8
MikeKos

To be honest, I still haven't downloade the new trial version of Publisher.

Part of that is the prior past experience with an earlier iteration of Publisher, early in 2011.

But some of the tools I was using, then, are no longer available.

The attached parts assembly (not even an exploded view) was created with Adobe Acrobat 8 or 9 that had the 3D plug-in for STP/CAD files that's no longer offered.

It allowed me to select individual parts in the assembly  and select the degree of transparency and pick a color, after I'd rotated and picked a view. That's about it.

Will the new version of Publisher let you do that kind of thing......  With it, could I open an Inventor assembly file (without an Inventor license installed) and create a bill of material, and number, color and set opacity?

That's 80 to 90 percent of what I'd be doing........ currently muddling through with the DWF viewer, Design Review and relying on enginnering to bubble out the individual assemblies when they create  bills.

If the attachment doesn't open or travel well, let me know. ........ If the answer to this question is, "no," please pass this on to the Publisher development team. Don't know what's changed since 2011, or what they've been adding to the program, but the capacity to do this kind of thing with the software should be basic -- no?

....By the way, responding to the question in your second sentence -- "does it do what it says on the tin?" -- no idea what you mean by that. What tin? Where?

Thanks,

Message 4 of 8
bowen192
in reply to: MikeKos

Publisher does all the things you mentioned and the output quality is high.  It works best with dwf files.

There is no need to install Inventor.

Download a 30 day trial for 2015 here.

@MikeKos wrote:

....By the way, responding to the question in your second sentence -- "does it do what it says on the tin?" -- no idea what you mean by that. What tin? Where?

Smiley LOL

This is a British phrase that means 'it does exactly what it says it does'.  It's taken from an old advert

Tags (3)
Message 5 of 8
bowen192

OK, here's another one.

When an object is selected, clicking Move will brings up the Move Triad.

However, if you are zoomed in quite often the Move Triad is off screen as it automatically centres on the object.

I would like an option for the Move Triad to appear in the middle of the screen.

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 8
MikeKos
in reply to: bowen192

Thanks for the reply -- I did manage to get the drift of "does what it says" -- but what  are the claims and where, exactly, are they spelled out?

All I could find is this page, with a sales pitch video tucked away  in a box, near the top, right corner:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/inventor-publisher/free-trial

There's no feature list, no bullet point overview or summary. Couldn't even find a wiki page, or anything on cnet.

Two other pages describe "Inserting Inventor Data" and "Inserting DWF Data" Accessible here:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-publisher/downloads/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2013/ENU...

Message 7 of 8
Huan.Yu_Autodesk
in reply to: MikeKos

Hi Mike,

Please check out the help content for Publisher 2015.
http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVPUB/2015/ENU/

You will also find a "What's New" section there.

Thanks,

-Huan
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: bowen192

Yes the triad not being able to move where you want it ! Really bugging me that one Smiley Frustrated I'm still waiting for option to rotate picture/image insert also. However 2015 seem to be more stable. Doesn't crash as often, but ocassionally still does.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report