Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Publisher Vector Issues and Adobe CS5+

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
robert.ruhe
1577 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor Publisher Vector Issues and Adobe CS5+

I have a vector issue and a question about Autodesk+Adobe products.

I am finding dicey results at best with the SVG output. I can export much higher quality from Inventor itself - and that quality is about perfect. I look at the SVG output from Publisher and I'm very unsatisfied. Unless Publisher isn't really meant for vector output? I would very much like to see some interactivity between Publisher and Adobe. I use InDesign and Illustrator constantly and am eager to use Publisher more and more. They seem to be a match made in heaven - at least for me. I have to believe many others are involved in similar workflows? 

Are there plans to enhance the imaging in Publisher?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi Robert -

Thanks for your post. Publishing to Vector has been a very high priority for us this year as far as improvements go. I absolutely understand your frustration with the lack of quality in comparison to Inventor outputs, but be assured you will see big improvements in this area soon.

Thank you,

Timera Hart

Autodesk

Message 3 of 7
rich-s
in reply to: robert.ruhe

I'm hoping that major progress is made. I'm going thru this issue currently. Not only the quality but the steps to create a vector image. Currently I'm able to create one snapshot at a time vs. the entire storyboard. The instructions i'm working on right now i'll have upwards of 30+ snapshots.

I noticed is the SVG output does not reference the Style. I created a new style based on the techincal line drawing except the part would be gray with a black outline. Is this an issue with vector graphics that it won't include shading or just how Publisher is exporting it? If it doesn't reference the style when exporting I have to add an extra step for each file to fill in each part that I selected in Publisher.

Detail Views - when I create a detail view (using the Techincal Line Drawing style), not only is the view scaled up but the line weight gets scalled too. Now my detail view looks fuzzy & pixelated, basically not worth even using. I was really hoping that the line weights would be crisp and clear like in main view.

Message 4 of 7
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: rich-s

Hi Rich, please see my responsese below in red

I'm hoping that major progress is made. I'm going thru this issue currently. Not only the quality but the steps to create a vector image. Currently I'm able to create one snapshot at a time vs. the entire storyboard. The instructions i'm working on right now i'll have upwards of 30+ snapshots. Currently, publishing by Snapshot is the only method of publishing to vector. Although I absolutely see the merits in pursuing a batch/publish storyboard functionality as well. This is on the board for discussion.

I noticed is the SVG output does not reference the Style. I created a new style based on the techincal line drawing except the part would be gray with a black outline. Is this an issue with vector graphics that it won't include shading or just how Publisher is exporting it? If it doesn't reference the style when exporting I have to add an extra step for each file to fill in each part that I selected in Publisher. SVG output will not reference any style, period. This is as-designed. Vector art is inherently line art, and so all renderings, etc will be lost when you choose to export to an .svg - so to answer your question, this is a vector graphics "rule", not a Publisher issue. Many of our clients use programs like Adobe Illustrator to edit the vector art as necessary and enhance with any fills or shading they want for final presentations.

Detail Views - when I create a detail view (using the Techincal Line Drawing style), not only is the view scaled up but the line weight gets scalled too. Now my detail view looks fuzzy & pixelated, basically not worth even using. I was really hoping that the line weights would be crisp and clear like in main view. This is because the Detail View works off of a zoom factor (so everything gets scaled up respectively). It's understood that this functionality is not as-desired for many of our clients, and we are exploring other solutions as well. There is a known bug when exporting an .svg which contains a detail view as well and we are actively pursuing a fix.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Timera Hart

Autodesk

Message 5 of 7
rich-s
in reply to: TimeraAutodesk

Timera,

I'm excited to hear that some of my concerns are being reviewed.

With reguards to Vector output not referencing any sytles, my planned usage of Publisher is the reduce the amount of steps it takes to get from storyboard to page layout. The storyboard I just completed has 80 slides and each slide has multiple objects shaded. So if I were to use Vector, I would have to edit all 80 slides to fill in areas needed. This would add a tremendous amount of time to our already lengthy and convoluted process. Would there be a possiblity of having options in the Vector output similar to Image output were you could check the box for "Transparent Background"  but for "Reference Style"?

Rich

Message 6 of 7
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: rich-s

Hi Rich -

Unfortunately, it wont be possible to mix Vector and styles. Styles publishes as raster images, and vector is .svg linework (2 entirely different formats that don't work together).

Just out of curiousity, before using Publisher, what was your workflow to get the images you're looking for?

Timera

Message 7 of 7
rich-s
in reply to: robert.ruhe

Here are the steps we used to create instructions prior to Publisher;

1. Finalize the 3D model (Inventor)
  2. Create 2D drawing views of each stage of the product’s assembly (Inventor)
  3. Save the pages as DWG files
  4. Open the DWG files in Illustrator where I color each figure to highlight parts added in each stage.
  5. Add the hardware illustrations at this stage.
  6. Create instructions (InDesign)
  7. Import Illustrator views in the desired pages of the instructions layout.
  8. Add text for each step
  9. Instructions Completed

Here are the steps I was anticipating using with Publisher;

1. Finalize the 3D model w/ hardware (Inventor)
  2. Create views of each stage of the product’s assembly (Publisher)
  3. Create instructions (InDesign)
  4. Import views in the desired pages of the instructions layout.
  5. Add text for each step
  6. Instructions Completed

I'm hoping to see time savings by removing Illustrator from the process.

Also any updates or changes in the build sequence.

Rich

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report