Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Publisher Information on new version?

63 REPLIES 63
Message 1 of 64
coreyparks
3610 Views, 63 Replies

Inventor Publisher Information on new version?

I know it can be reported or spoken of in a public forum but I need to find out about the new version of Inventor Publisher that should be coming out this spring.  I have run into so many pitfalls that I can no longer waste my time on this version.  Right now every file I work on is like a ticking time bomb and I can't see the clock.  Every file I have worked on has eventually corrupted and given me an unknown error leaving me unable to open the file and finish changes or updates.  Even when I can get updates to work properly I  am forced to edit every BOM and renumber all of the line items before I erase and re-balloon the entire assembly.  I have one manual that I can complete in 3 hours, start to finish.  I have done that 4 separate times now due to the file becoming corupt. 

So in a nutshell I need to abandon Inventor Publisher 2013R1 due to time contraints and severe lack of performance.  That being the case we still need something to create our manuals with.  So do I wait till the next version hoping it might fix some of the problems I am having or do we look for something better from another company or do we wait for the next version knowing that there are major changes that will make the 2015 version at least usable?  Can someone Let me know how to get into the Beta program, if there is one, for Publisher?  I have done betas in the past but can't see a way to sign up for this one on that website.  Thanks for any help I can get.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
63 REPLIES 63
Message 41 of 64
jannaspicer
in reply to: DarrenP

Hi there,

Yes!! Autodesk Inventor Publisher 2015 has been released publicly as of today!

Our regular webpages are in process of being updated, but here is a quick peek at the major new features:

#1: Inventor Publisher 2015 is compatible with Inventor 2015 data.

#2: Extended CAD Associativity with non-Inventor files

#3: Enhanced BOM - better control over parts lists

#4: Hyperlinks

#5: Capacity Meter on a mobile device

You can download Inventor Publisher 2015 through Subscription center today, and our official product page (including Trial download) will be posted very soon.

Let us know what you think!

-Janna

Message 42 of 64
coreyparks
in reply to: jannaspicer

I gotta say, it looks a little underwelming.  Considering there hasn't been a major version release in over 2 years and all.

#1 is a gotta have but nothing really great for added features.

#2 It might be nice for some but I only use files that started in Inventor.

#3 Much needed and welcomed but if the readme file is accurate this falls way short of where it needs to be.

#4 This could be a nice added feature depending on how it functions.

#5 I would have rather had it so the mobile format published correctly with colors and transparency rather than this virtually useless piece of eye candy.

I hope at least this version can handle larger files without corrupting them on a regular basis.  I will hopefully be able to get this installed here shortly and take it for a spin and I really hope it ends up way above my expectations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 43 of 64
cts2013

Fantastic news - everything that nobody asked for !

- - - > Publisher 2016 running on: - - -

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit
Message 44 of 64
sm4rt

Never mind thanks for this release anyway. Personally I would prefer an integration directly inside inventor pro by creating a new publisher start-up option like we do for drawing. Waiting for the publisher page update.
Message 45 of 64
bowen192
in reply to: sm4rt

Can't see it on mine.

I really, REALLY hope that that list isn't what we've been waiting two years for. Smiley LOL

Message 46 of 64
jhendrick
in reply to: coreyparks

Does Inventor Publisher 2013 R1 need to be uninstalled before loading new Inventor Publisher 2015?  I am a "Publisher newbie," and have not yet fully explored the program, waiting for the 2015 version to address operational problems in the 2013 R1 version.

- Regards, Jeff   

Message 47 of 64
mcolinp

I don't think most of you grasp the implications and possibilities associated with "Hyperlinks". I have been asking for this for over two years. I see people here complaining about issues regarding large assemblies and such; and Hyperlinks gives you an opportunity to actually solve/manage some of these issues.

So say you have a Large overall assembly which has multiple areas of detail (or sub-assemblies . . . ); which will need different exploded views and/or assembly animations. So with hyperlinks you can build a simple overall context assembly; with callouts that contain hyperlinks to the individual files that contain the additional animations. (Supposing you host the files on a cloud server such as Autodesk 360 or Dropbox, etc.)

Think of the possibility to publish a LARGE assembly with a low level of Detail; then make more detailed referenced sub-assemblies that can show full level of detail; since you are no longer showing ALL the parts from the Entire Master Assembly. This also would help keep Publisher files from getting bloated and subject to the self-destructing behavior's we have all come to loathe. (seeing as you can make smaller files that can be linked together. If there is a problem with one; it does not kill ALL your hard work in a larger project . . . )

Hyperlinks are a BIG WIN in my assement . . .

Message 48 of 64

@jannaspicer wrote:

Hi there,

Yes!! Autodesk Inventor Publisher 2015 has been released publicly as of today!

You can download Inventor Publisher 2015 through Subscription center today, and our official product page (including Trial download) will be posted very soon.

Let us know what you think!

-Janna

This is still not showing on our subscription centre...

Message 49 of 64
jannaspicer
in reply to: jhendrick

@jhendrick wrote:

Does Inventor Publisher 2013 R1 need to be uninstalled before loading new Inventor Publisher 2015?  I am a "Publisher newbie," and have not yet fully explored the program, waiting for the 2015 version to address operational problems in the 2013 R1 version.

- Regards, Jeff   

No - you don't have to uninstall the old product before installing the 2015 release. You can install the new version alongside the old version.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Janna

Message 50 of 64
wkoehn

Any idea when the trial will be available for download on the products page?

Win10 Pro 64Bit | PDSU 2016 | Vault Pro 2016
SuperMicro X10SRA | Xeon E5-1650v3 3.5 Ghz 6 core | 32 Gb ram
(1) Samsung 850 Pro | (2) Samsung 950 Pro | EVGA GTX 980 Ti
Message 51 of 64
MikeKos

Corey,

i downoaded an early  trial version of Publisher in 2011and it didn't take long to get frustrated with export and save options-- for example, not being able to export to a vector format (Illustrator EPS, or even vector PDF), and for that matter -- even raster/bitmap PDF's came out low rez.

But last Friday, I had to call and ask someone if Autodesk has any software at all -- some kind of plug-in or beta ort cloud app -- that would allow a user who DOES NOT have an Inventor license, to open an assembly file (*.iam) and produce a an illustrated parts page graphic, with numbered bubbles at the end of arrows tagging individual parts in an assembly.

I got an email today from our local Autodesk rep., telling me that the brand NEW version of Publisher is out, and it's available for trial download.

Ihaven't downloaded it, yet,but I probably will.

I'd like toknow if the app still relies on the same kind of "Snapshot" ouput -- (clipboard graphics), for export, that it used to.If there's a way to save files to something other than the .ipb "Publisher" format -- that might be a step up, and it might mean the program's become more stable and better able to handle large files.

I'm curious tro know  what you decided to do -- you  put up your original post in this thread back in January.

FYI -- to give you an idea of what I need to do, I uploaded a sort of generic parts page to my personal photobucket account, in the link, below. It was done with the free viewer, Design Review, and Photoshop. Starting with a DWF file that our crack engineering posse output, which included an exploded view. It's a relatively small group of parts, though. Some of our larger assemblies will have 50 or 60, or even 150 or 160.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/mishako3/Gearboxclutchpulley_zpsf30e956b.jpg

Message 52 of 64
miQlo

Is there a complete list of updates and bug fixes?

Message 53 of 64
coreyparks
in reply to: MikeKos

Well, I still haven't been able to take the new version for a test drive.  Still waiting for our IT poeple to get our network license file setup for 2015.  I can tell you that it still uses the snapshot setup and exports to JPG, PDF, Word, ETC.  I do get a pretty good quality output when I send it to Word. I had to adjust the quality settings within the properties of the snapshot as it defaults to export at 72DPI.  The working file however is still the IPB file and unless 2015 has some huge undocumented changes the workflow for setting things up is pretty much the same. 

The speed and capacity of the program leaves a lot to be desired but the 50-60 part range should be doable.  The files we are working on normally are in the 250-500 part range and these are nearly impossible to use not too mention many issues with exporting to Word, bubble moved/missing, views damaged, etc.  I have started to break these machines into 2 seperate IPB files and that seems to work much better but it creates more work to combine the Word files into one and does not work as well having 2 mobile format files for our iPads. 

I was not able to see the file you linked to but I would say to still give the software a try.  It has great potential it's just not been realized as of yet.  If you do give it another go feel free and ask questions and I will do my best to help out.  Make sure however you pick a real word application and if at all possible go for the worst case scenario, largest and most complex files you have to really test the software.  We made the mistake of testing on small subassemblies and assuming that larger ones may work a bit slower but for the most part they would be the same, my bad on that one.  If I can ever get the new version up and running I will post back on how things are woking in 2015 compared to 2013R1.

Corey Parks
Message 54 of 64

@coreyparks wrote:

The speed and capacity of the program leaves a lot to be desired but the 50-60 part range should be doable.  The files we are working on normally are in the 250-500 part range and these are nearly impossible to use not too mention many issues with exporting to Word, bubble moved/missing, views damaged, etc.  I have started to break these machines into 2 seperate IPB files and that seems to work much better but it creates more work to combine the Word files into one and does not work as well having 2 mobile format files for our iPads. 

I assume that this is what the new hyperlink feature is there to sort.

Not that I'd know as my subscription page hasn't been updated and there are no signs of a link anywhere...

Message 55 of 64

Yeah, the hyperlinks could be a big help.  I will reserve my excitment until I get a chance to see how this was actually integrated into the software however.  Right now we export to Word and make a few manual mods and then print to PDF for the final file.  Not sure if the Hyperlink will survive the process, plus our files are never opened from the same directory twice as they get copied in and out of the file storage system and I am not familiar anough with hyperlinks to know if that will work out very well.

Corey Parks
Message 56 of 64
MikeKos

Sounds very familiar. Our whole company just updated from 2011 to theInventor Ultimate 2015 package. Making my free viewers (TRuView and Design Review) useless on newly created files. AFter I wasted a couple of hoursthis morning trying to updatethose apps, our IT guy told me that you need a special AI downloader link to do it.

There seems to be a new product includedwith the free utilitiescalled DWF WRiter. I'm curious to see what kinds of files it opens and what can be saved/exported from them.

I did notice that the new version of Publisher will output to VEctor Svg format.

Unfortunately, that's not one of Adobe Illustrator's`most-favoredfile formats. The recommendation is to never try to open anSVG file directly, but to always start with a clean, new Illustrator file, and "place" the SVG. (REportedly, Illustrator has trouble opening svg files that were created and saved in Illustrator, itself.)

FWIW, i added the PHotobucket .jpg that I had a link to in the earlier post, as an attachment to this reply It's not a huge file but it will give you an idea of what I"m trying to create.

Message 57 of 64
djovica30

Hey jhendrick, I used to work in the Solidworks channel and Composer is buggy. It sounds like the same issues when you read the forums.

Message 58 of 64
djovica30

If you are looking for Inventor Publisher training, look at Imaginit Technologies Productivity Now. The training is made by Ascent who make the Autodesk certified training for all the other titles.

I used it to train myself up on Publisher and got proficient in about 3hrs.

Message 59 of 64
djovica30

I work for an Autodesk Reseller and strangely, Autodesk quarters end a month late. Having said that, we are in Autodesks Q3 and are patiently waiting...

Message 60 of 64
djovica30

I read the help files and I believe the hyperlinks feature refers to being able to insert a URL property in the parts list and when you publish the document, viewers can click on the hyperlink.
Would this help resolve the large assembly performance issues experienced in 2013?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report