Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reduce Inventor files to playback on mobile devices

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
xchrisgrassx
352 Views, 3 Replies

How to reduce Inventor files to playback on mobile devices

Good morning everyone,

I work on big manual and automatic workstations, cells, and lines.

Before shrinkwrapping, my part count usually hits around 13,000-17,000 parts.

Using Publisher seems to be the best way to present our ideas to customers all across the world.

But we have run into limitations where the message on our i-pads read "Filetype too large" (or something along those lines).

I have successfuly published and uploaded my files, so whats happening?

Is it a matter of rendering 400,000 or so triangles as a max?

Do you guys know of how I can reduce the size and make these files work?

Shrinkwrapping has no effect.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

If you are able to exclude any data (hidden components, etc), that is a huge help in reducing the file size. Also, turning off components in the Canvas Browser that are not necessary for any given snapshot is helpful too. The viewer has a capacity limit based on a combination of # of triangles, materials, etc. So for very large assemblies such as yours, reducing the amount of heavy materials/textures and hidden parts are the best way to address this problem.

Good Luck!

Timera Hart

Autodesk

Message 3 of 4
skansenj
in reply to: xchrisgrassx

Do you have any turtorial for how to exclude hidden data, and how to reduce textures? It is a bit frustrating with these limitations on the ipad. Will ipad 3 have a greater capacity? Im getting the error message : device capasity reached or something like that. We use the viewer for internal product training
Message 4 of 4
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: skansenj

Well, reducing textures and such is done in whatever native software the data was created in (3dsMax, Inventor, etc). Also, there are a couple ways to reduce geometry or hidden compoents (components that are located on the interior of a model which are never seen ie. screws, etc. which are polygon heavy). You can either delete them from the original cad data before importing the model  into Publisher (this is the best way to reduce geometry size), or you can simply turn off any unnecessary parts in the Canvas Browser in Publisher by clicking the lightbulb icon on or off. All of these modifications will help to reduce the size of the model.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report