Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
axonscott
945 Views, 8 Replies

Frustrated

So I'm dealing with Publisher 2013 R1 and so far, I'm really, really irritated. Will someone please confirm that I am having a normal experience with this program?

Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1 64 bit

Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.8 0 Ghz

16 Gb Ram

Nvidia Quadro 600

1. My God it's slow. Remember AutoCAD release 9 when you would accidentally hit rgen and you could go to lunch? Yeah, like that.

2. Sectioned weldments display welds as section when not sectioned.

3. My favorite part - the save file corrupts after hours of work and is no longer able to be openned.

4. Updates of INventor files seem to have no effect or error out.

Is this program really this bad?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it is still not working worth a ****.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
amhunt
in reply to: axonscott

Scott-

Thanks for your questions. These issues can provide important feedback for our development team.

1. Do you mind sharing the files you're working with that are demonstrating performance issues? This will also help me try to reproduce your issues for the sectioning issues with welded projects. I know that Publisher does not support some features related to weldments (such as auto-explode).

3. The file shouldn't be corrupting. There were previous issues with file corruption in Inventor Publisher 2012 related to file updating.  These should have been solved with the SP2 last year. Again, the file may help me figure this issue out.

4. The moved component in publisher will not be updated with the position change in Inventor since Inventor Publisher doesn’t support constraint from Inventor.

Thanks for your questions and for using Publisher!

Andy

Autodesk Intern

Message 3 of 9
Kenneth-Oksen
in reply to: amhunt

Hello

I have the exact same poblems with save.

When i have updated the .ibp and try to save, the file says that there has been a problem and will not save.

Some times i can make som changes after update and get allowed to save, but then i can open the file afterwards.

I loose several hours of work.

Also the programs is very slow and i work with a file size of 32 mb.

I hope you find a solution for the problems.

Message 4 of 9
bowen192
in reply to: axonscott

I have used Publisher from the start and these are all problems everyone has.  They are not unique.

You can send your files off, but you will never solve the following:

• If the Inventor/whatever import is not perfect, it will crash. Alot.
  • Publisher does not, and imo never will, support large assemblies.
  • It will never support representations.
  • It is slow beyond words even though it is, essentially, a stripped down Inventor.
  • Vault integration is abysmal.
  • Once a certain amount of snapshots have been created, the black screen of death will destroy you.

IMO Publisher will only ever be useful to people manipulating models with less than 100 parts.

Still, the Facebook page is nice.

Message 5 of 9
Kenneth-Oksen
in reply to: bowen192

Is this something that Autodesk can verify ore is this your own experience?

Message 6 of 9
bowen192
in reply to: Kenneth-Oksen

"If the Inventor/whatever import is not perfect, it will crash. Alot."

Autodesk can confirm this.

"Publisher does not, and imo never will, support large assemblies."

Autodesk will bizarely deny this, but the performance issue is consistent to all users.  I guarantee that not one person using large assemblies will be happy with Publisher.

"It will never support representations."

Autodesk have confirmed this.

It is slow beyond words even though it is, essentially, a stripped down Inventor.

Again, I guarantee that not one person using large assemblies will be happy with Publisher performance. 

"Vault integration is abysmal."

To be fair to Autodesk, Vault needs ironing out across all products, so Publisher can hardly be blamed here.

"Once a certain amount of snapshots have been created, the black screen of death will destroy you."

Again, this is more an issue with people with large assemblies and/or arrow annotations. Based soley on the number of posts on here about the issue, the problem seems to be getting worse.

Message 7 of 9
cts2013
in reply to: bowen192

Replies from Autodesk also support Kenneth-Oksen
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Publisher/This-may-help-you-decide-whether-to-buy-Pu...
- - - > Publisher 2016 running on: - - -

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit
Message 8 of 9
Kenneth-Oksen
in reply to: cts2013

Hej cts2013

Thanks for your reply. How many parts are used your models? We have up to 500 parts in our models.

I'm about to upgrade to Quadro K2000 and i hope it works. 

Message 9 of 9
cts2013
in reply to: Kenneth-Oksen

The assembly that I am currently working with has approx 1500 parts.

A few tweaks that I have found when I haven't been bashing my head against the keyboard:

I have found that exporting the model (from Inventor) as a DWF and then using that DWF from within Publisher makes a massive difference BUT it is not seamless - our CAD guys need to remember that once they have updated the model, they need to export as DWF and overwrite the version that I am using for Publisher. The whole point of updating the model and that flowing through to Inventor and Word was the selling point for my company - shame the workaround renders this feature 'difficult'!

Also, on the View tab (Publisher), turn the Viewport Fidelity down to improve the performance. For my uses, it doesnt change the way it displays in a Word document.

HTH

- - - > Publisher 2016 running on: - - -

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report