Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to create InventorServer object in INVPUB2012

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tcallag
592 Views, 6 Replies

Failed to create InventorServer object in INVPUB2012

I usually work with Inventor files. This is the first time I tried to open a Solidworks SLDASM file in INVPub2012. What am I doing wrong? I do not understand what the error message is telling me when it states, "Failed to create InventorServer object." Thank you for any help.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
luciacasu
in reply to: tcallag

Hi,

the message is related to the fact that non Inventor files (like Solidworks) need to be translated using Inventor Server.

Do you have other versions of Inventor installed?

Is it possible for you to reinstall Inventor Publisher2012?

Thanks,

Lucia Casu

Inventor 

Lucia Casu

Fusion360 Development

Message 3 of 7
tcallag
in reply to: luciacasu

Hi,

I have two versions:

I am running my copy of 2012 on a Windows 8.1 machine with the dll
workaround used for Inventor (search for tcallag in the forums for my post
for details). Yes, I can reinstall the software and the Inventor dll file
work around.

The second copy is the new cloud version for the new work laptop. I have to
check with IT to find out if I have to wait for a disc to arrive or if I
can download from the Autodesk site.

Terry

Capstan AG
Topeka, KS
Message 4 of 7
na.miao

Hi, 

Could you tell me the version of Solidwork file?

Maybe this error is becasue the Solidworks version is higher than inventor publisher version. Just like in publisher 2012 we can't import the  file which is created in inventor 2013

you also can  install a lastest inventor publisher to try again.

Thank you 

Na Miao

Na Miao(Autodesk)
Inventor Publisher QA
Message 5 of 7
tcallag
in reply to: luciacasu

Interesting. The Solidworks file versions are 2013 and up and it looks like the company will be moving to 2015. 

Now, when I was working with DWF files created from 2013 through 2015 Inventor iam files last year, I had no trouble working with those in Publisher 2012. The drawback to the DWF is the BOM, parts list and individual component part images are not available to me in Publisher. I never did try to import a 2013-2015 iam file directly into Publisher at my last assignment in 2014.

Is importing a Solidsworks assembly drawing and importing an Inventor iam file the same "type" of mother file where all of the children files are linked to the mother file?

Why would the creation of a DWF file, from a 2013-2015 Inventor iam file not cause a software versioning issue with an older Publisher program, like my 2012? Your response should hopefully explain why and why I cannot import a 2013-2015 created source engineering file, whether iam or sldasm into the 2012 Publisher program I currently own and use. I always thought all CAD data was purely content and the physical structure of the software program accessing the content determined how it would be displayed...in a sense making the content independent of hardware and software use to display the content.

Another question, Is the InventorServer normally loaded and switched ON when you first set up the Publisher program on the computer? Or is there a separate toggle function that I must manually perform during or after program setup on the PC?

Thank you for all your help.

Terry
Message 6 of 7
na.miao

Hi Terry, 

we use InventorServer to translate most of CAD files, just like Solidworks,AutoCAD, Inventor and something so on. InventorServer will be loaded everytime when you try to import these files.

But some  file are not translated by InventorServer, like dwf files, sktechbook files .....you can import dwf files is because dwf version is not upadte for long time, so the lower publisher verison also can import it.

I strongly suggest you update your publisher to 2015, in Publisher 2015, we support update from solidworks file, if you always import solidwork file, I think this will be very usefull for you.

Thank you 

Na Miao

Na Miao(Autodesk)
Inventor Publisher QA
Message 7 of 7
tcallag

Had my company purchase INVPUB 2015 and I get a different insert error: Could not find the valid 3D geometry data in file when opening a Solidworks 2015 SLDASM file. See my lateest post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report