Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dwf on Ipad

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rh
Participant
5646 Views, 9 Replies

Dwf on Ipad

I saved a dwf file from a email attachment on my iPad and tried to open it with IPM viewer. I could not open in from the email direct and also could not open the file once it was saved. Is there any way of opening a dwf file direct from a email or the iPad directory? Why is this file format unknown on the iPad once the app is installed? Can somebody help me on this?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jon.Balgley
in reply to: rh

The IPM viewer only views ... IPM files.  It does not allow you to view DWF files directly.  Inventor Publisher (the desktop app) allows you to import DWF files and then "publish" them as IPM.  Usually you would add annotations, etc., to augment the geometric data, but you could just use it as a DWF-to-IPM translator.

Jon Balgley
Message 3 of 10
rh
Participant
in reply to: Jon.Balgley

Is there an App comming soon that would do that Direct? I don't Wang to go arround file coversions an Upload Download file on autodesk Servers. We have quitt strict compy policies that do not allow to save Files on Cloud Space or send them elsewhere through Internet
Message 4 of 10
Jon.Balgley

We are not allowed to comment on future products, or lack thereof.

Although I understand why you might not want to buy Publisher just to convert DWF to IPM, you don't have to use the "cloud" to view the IPM files on your mobile device.  You can save it locally on the desktop/laptop, and then use iTunes to transfer it to the mobile device.

Jon Balgley
Message 5 of 10
rh
Participant
in reply to: Jon.Balgley

Ok I will check that. Thank you for the help
Message 6 of 10
rh
Participant

Hi Jon, I downloaded publisher and coverted a small file. The result was a 20MB file out of a 2MB dwf. Did I do something wrong? Are there settings that affect the file size? In this way I cannot use it. This was one of our small machines. We usually have 5-12MB dwfs.
Message 7 of 10
Jon.Balgley

For various reasons, IPB files are typically quite a bit larger than their source data files.  This is and will be a perpetual battle for us, to keep file size down and functionality "up".

However, the IPM file (from the "Publish Mobile" command) should not be nearly so big.  If you're having size problems with that, please email me off-list, at jon.balgley@autodesk.com and we can take a look.  We'll probably need some sample data from you.

--Jon

Jon Balgley
Message 8 of 10
my2cents

JON BALGLEY! "We are not allowed to comment on future products, or lack thereof." LACK THEREOF?!?  I've seen posts with curiosity of why a dwf reader is necessary on the iPad. Why in the (insert word of choice...I suggest the big boy) wouldn't it be necessary? I've looked at autocad ws... very nice but i see one angle that wasn't considered.  The iPad was made into a great tool for drafters.  Where do drafter's accomplish THEIR goals? At the office or in the field? Try memorizing every specs on more than 40 homes each having five to ten unique elevation options.  Maybe you can and wouldn't have to make multiple trips back to the office or freshen up your prints.  Add one  man hour traveling to get answers with 2 reems of 11x17 paper.  You've already passed the price of nearly every app available.  Dwg produces a design.  Dwf makes it happen.  2D with mark up and measure.  I'll even name it for you...Buzzsaw...wait that sounds familiar

Message 9 of 10
vrod2000

Displaying DXF on the ipad naturally would be very nice and quite useful for me as well.

On another note, I would REALLY like to find a PDF plotter driver that can retain the autocad hyperlinks to be even more useful. Plotting to PDF (from Autocad) without including hyperlinks is like getting the Cracker Jack without the prize. (even if most people don't use the prize)

-Vic

Message 10 of 10
universeman

Hey all, check out McDwiff for iPad! Opens DWF and DWFx files on iPad.

www.macdwf.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report