Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D PDF Parts Tree Displaying Description Not Part Number

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Chris_Molland
1257 Views, 4 Replies

3D PDF Parts Tree Displaying Description Not Part Number

Hello

We are creating 3D PDF files from Publisher for our client to use for review of the assemblies. Feedback from the client has revealed that they are struggling to use the parts tree in Adobe Acrobat Viewer because all the parts are displayed using the part numbers we allocate which is very difficult to interpret.

Does anyone have any ingenious suggestions as to how we could replace the part numbers with the Description values, as entered in the iProperties, for each part/assembly? This would make the user experience much better.

Thank you.

Chris

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
peggy.wang
in reply to: Chris_Molland

Hello Chris_Molland,

Thank you for your post. Currently, Publisher only support publish the model to 3D PDF and  display as Part Number.

And how about use the fuction: Publish to DWF to show other kind of iProperties of the model? You can choose any properites in properties filter, and view all the properties in DWF viewer after the Publish.

Regards,

Peggy

Autodesk Publisher QA

Peggy Wang
Sr. Software QA Engineer
Publisher Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
Chris_Molland
in reply to: peggy.wang

Hello Peggy

Thank you for your reply. You make a good suggestion but unfortunately my client has to use Adobe Acrobat to review the models. Their corporate network is very tightly controlled regarding available applications.

Does Autodesk Inventor Publisher expose an API which would allow me to write an application to lookup each part description and replace the part name in Publisher, or something along those lines?

Regards

Chris

Message 4 of 5
peggy.wang
in reply to: Chris_Molland

Hello Chris_Molland,

Publisher has limited support when export to 3D PDF file. Could you try below workaround to solve the problem?

If your inserted component file is Inventor assembly, please have a try.

1, Duplicate the IPB file which need to export to 3D PDF

2, Open the Inventor assembly file, and modify the component display name in assembly (don't need change the original part name) and save it

3, Open IPB_Duplicate file in Publisher, and update the components and save

4, export to 3D PDF, it will use the display name.

Hope this helps.

Peggy Wang
Sr. Software QA Engineer
Publisher Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
tlcallaghan
in reply to: peggy.wang

Hi, is there a visual of this procedure somewhere.  I'm not reading all of the steps very well and am having trouble applying your suggestion to my 3D PDF.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report