Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default View Label Characters

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
CadUser46
593 Views, 5 Replies

Default View Label Characters

Does anyone know where the default view label characters are in the API?  Im wondering if/where the internal counter is?

I'd like to re-letter the detail and section views using the active standard rules if possible as opposed to hard coding my own lettering sequence.

Cheers

Craig

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BrandonBG
in reply to: CadUser46

If you don't mind spending $5:

https://designandmotion.net/autodesk/inventor-view-labels-whack/

Otherwise, in the API, the alphabetical view label name is in

Sheet -> DrawingView.Name()

In the API help, search DrawingView Object, scroll down to Properties, and you'll find Name.

Brandon

Message 3 of 6
CadUser46
in reply to: BrandonBG

Hi Brandon.  Thats where im heading with it but i was looking for the internal counter, not the name itself.  I havent looked too far into it yet to see if VBA has its own letter counter but i was hoping to avoid creating array A, B, C...... AA, AB etc.  I can find the excluded characters so i could just compare my list to that.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 4 of 6
ekinsb

The label ID that will be used in the next view is not exposed through the API and neither is any functionality to create a view label independent of actually creating a view.  However, I went ahead and wrote a little VBA function that takes an existing view label as input and returns the next view label.  For example if I pass in "A" it will return "B".  It skips the letters not allowed in the ISO standard and will begin outputting double letters when it reaches the end of the alphabet.  For example, if I pass in "Y" it will return "AA" since "Z" is skipped.  The important function is GetNextLabel and TestViewLabel is just for testing.

Public Sub TestViewLabel()
    Dim i As Integer
    For i = 1 To 50
        Dim lbl As String
        Dim oldLabel As String
        oldLabel = lbl
        lbl = GetNextLabel(lbl)

Debug.Print oldLabel & " = " & lbl
    Next
End Sub

Public Function GetNextLabel(Optional ByVal ExistingLabel As String = "") As String
    If ExistingLabel = "" Then
        GetNextLabel = "A"
    Else
        ExistingLabel = UCase(Trim(ExistingLabel))

Dim charCount As Integer
        charCount = Len(ExistingLabel)

Dim charString As String
        charString = Mid(ExistingLabel, 1, 1)

Dim charCode As Integer
        charCode = Asc(charString)
        Select Case charString
            Case "H", "N", "P", "R", "W"
                ' Special case for characters before I, O, Q, S, and X. Increment
                ' by two in those cases to skip those letters which aren't to be
                ' in the ISO standard.
                charCode = charCode + 2
            Case "Y"
                ' Special case for the character before Z, so that it will start
                ' over at A but have an additional character.
                charCode = 65
                charCount = charCount + 1
            Case Else
                charCode = charCode + 1
        End Select

' Build the label string.
        Dim labelChar As String
        labelChar = Chr(charCode)
        GetNextLabel = String(charCount, labelChar)
    End If
End Function

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 5 of 6
CadUser46
in reply to: ekinsb

Thanks Brian.  Interesting method.  I had been doing some reading about ASCII character codes and was trying to figure out how i was going to wrap the labels after Z.

I'll give it a bash when i get back to it.

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 6 of 6
CadUser46

Just for completness i wanted to say thanks, again.  I used what you provided and it works a charm 🙂

PS:  I was also reading through an old post on ModTheMachine about writing VBA for best performance and timing which meant i had to go back and look at some of my existing code.  Everyday's a school day.

Currently using 2023 Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report