Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weld in *.ipt

Weld in *.ipt

It should be possible to place a weld in an ipt. A folded sheet metal PART may need welds on corners. The welds are not parts they are just a part of the production process. Yes, you can produce an assembly but yet another file and the weld is not a part.

Thanks

Paul

17 Comments
pierre.masson
Alumni

The wish is to have welds available even for single sheet metal parts

mikeh7
Collaborator

2nd that motion.  Not that often, but we have sheet metal parts we fold flanges on and weld the corners.

Maxim-CADman77
Advisor

Quite often there is a need to apply weld operation not to assemble two or more parts but to enforce single part (usually connect edges of sheet metal part but this is not the only application).

In order to have weld in 3D user need to create weldment assembly which consist of the only part which seems not the optimal workflow.

Please add option to convert IPT to weldment directly (keeping the part as IPT).

pdecker
Advocate

I would like to see the ability to apply a weld to a single part such as a sheet metal part where two adjacent flanges now have a common edge that gets welded

weld example.png

r.lehmann79
Advocate

Good idea!

Maybe it can be combined with relief options: when linear or arc weld ist selected, there should be an option to add a weld automatically to the corner.

weld-options.jpg

Regards

Ralf

danmachen
Advocate

When making a standard sheet metal flange piece like the one attached in the image, a normal process is to weld the corners shut to seal the flanges closed.

Modelling in this type of weld in Inventor is a little tricky given the geometry. A groove weld doesn't quite work, a fillet weld doesn't either. In reality, the weld is smooth and consistent across the gap, with no holes in the corner,

Inventor could add in a feature wthin the weld environment to recognise this and modify the weld to seal the entire gap of the sheet metal, what I an terming "Weld to seal".

Save me more time Inventor!! 

Tags (6)
steve.west
Advocate

Great idea! I personally don't tend to model many welds in Inventor, due to the size of the fabrications involved, but I do spend a bit of time tidying up these open corners in assembly drawings by hiding lines. Adding a weld in each corner could conceivable eliminate this task.

danmachen
Advocate

Normally for sheet metal boxes and enclosures, it is rarely an issue for fabricators to weld across this close gap (given the gap is relative to the sheet metal thickness, which in Inventor is almost standard). 

It would just be great to see a neat model of this weld geometry to demonstrate on drawings for instance that there is a sealing or backing run here. This would normally be combined with this sort of weld symbol  (shown here for a v-butt weld)sealing run.gif

gilsdorf_e
Collaborator

This is especially the case for laser welding, where you would not need any additional material for the weld process.

timothy.toleson
Explorer

I just would like to see us to be able to put welds in formed sheet metal parts, without putting it in an assembly.  In the picture below you see a sheet metal component that will not get used in another assembly. So I would like to show welds for the corner seams. Why isnt this an option?

timothytoleson_0-1623866366600.png

Casey.P
Advocate

I agree with this. My company produces many parts for customers that want the corners welded after the part is formed. I know you can annotate a weld symbol in the drawing, but being able to show the weld in a 3D view speaks volumes when you have a less than stellar work force to work with in contract manufacturing. 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [57651]. Thanks!

paul.hadleyEBN96
Enthusiast

Weld in sheet metal multi body parts are a must, SW have it and it works a treat

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

WCrihfield
Mentor

Hi @dan_szymanski.  Do you know which version of Inventor will have this capability built into it?

We have wanted this capability for as long as I can remember, so we have been eagerly awaiting its arrival.  If more votes will help get it implemented sooner, then maybe you can combine the votes of some of the other related ideas into one.  I have listed a few links to some other similar ideas below.  One of those ideas dates all the way back to 2013.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/welds-for-single-sheet-metal-parts/idi-p/4374048 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/weld-to-seal-flange/idi-p/7056583 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @WCrihfield,

The ability to create a 3D Weld Annotation within a part or assembly has been delivered within Autodesk Inventor 2024. You are no longer required to convert an assembly to a weldment to generate 3D weld symbols. Likewise these 3D annotations can be recovered into 2D drawings (as recovered dimensions) or published to 3D PDF format, or Shared Views.

This idea is now tracking the request for the ability to easily create a 3D weld bead within the part (or assembly) environment (which was not delivered within Inv 2024). We have merged all the similar ideas into this Master Idea. Thanks for notifying us of the duplicates.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report