Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weld visibility in presentation

Weld visibility in presentation

It would be a great enhancement of Inventor when it's possible to control the visibility of welds in a Presentation. In our products we have lots of welded sub-assemblies which have to be assembled according to a specific method. But if we make an exploded view, the welds dissappear, which looks very strange on an assembly-drawing!! see picture. Left is the presentation, right the assembly file.

44 Comments
asiu
Advocate

I had similar issues with welded parts in a presentation file.

I was told by Autodesk that this is the intended Inventor behaviour with I respectfully disagree with. Why: it is an exploded view of welded parts and not the assembly for welding of one simple welded part pieces.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Weldments do not show up in a Presentation or ipn file. 

tony
Participant

You mean welds are not visible in the .ipn environment right?

SerkanCicek
Advocate

I was going to submit exactly this issue before I have searched and found this thread. I completely aggree with you; welded sub-assemblies look very strange on an assembly drawing. All workers always confuse with these drawings. Weld beads of a welded sub-assembly have to be seen in presentation. I cannot even think a situation that one would turn off the visibility of the weld beads of a welded sub-assembly in a presentation even if there were an option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely agree with you. Weld beads should be visible in subassemblies and in my opinion it should be a "as designed" feature. Not the opposite of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

By allowing the inclusion and exclusion of a weld bead in a representation and then calling up the representation in the presentation file this problem would be solved.

The best way to solve this is to add the same functionality to weld beads that parts and subassemblies have currently for inclusion and exclusion in a representation.

Currently, the weld bead can be suppressed.  This is an all or nothing.  It affects all representations and thus all presentations.

There is a thread that addresses this issue.  Please explore and give kudo's if possible

Dylan T. Rogers

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [524]. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a similar idea that could be taken care of at the same time. The title of the idea is "selective weld bead in a representation view "
By allowing the inclusion or exclusion of a weld bead in representation view it can easily to a drawing view in the same manner as a regular drawing view 
Dylan T Rogers 

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S®4 Active™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
miechh
Collaborator

Aaah yes! Thank you very much Dan Szymanski, for accepting as an idea. What's the next step in the process of implementing this in Inventor? When can we expect this to be actual?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

@Anonymous
Hi Dylan,

Yes - I have reviewed the "selective weld bead in reps" Idea and we have some different ideas for that one and would like to keep it seperate from this request for now. Thanks.

@miechh

Hi miechh,

Unfortunatley we cannot share the plans of where and when this gets implemented (due to revenue recognition).  Members of our internal beta community always have a better snapshot of what we have in store for the future.  If you are not yet a member, reach out to me via e-mail or personal message me on A360 and I will send you a invite to the Inventor internal feedback community.  Thanks - Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

The following comments were ported from a duplicate listing that I merged into this one:

Weldments In a Standard.ipn (Presentation)

dhagen |  ‎07-24-2014 12:52 PM |

Weldments do not show up in a Presentation or ipn file.

tony |  ‎08-03-2014 09:20 PM

You mean welds are not visible in the .ipn environment right?

Anonymous
Not applicable
DanSo selective weld bead is under consideration?  Any estimation when it will be included in the welding template? Dylan T Rogers 

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S®4 Active™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, it is under consideration and the request is formally being tracked within our internal database (product backlog).  As I stated before, unfortunatley I cannot share any details as to the "how" or "when" (due to revenue recognition) via this forum.  Thanks for understanding.

-Dan 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

miechh
Collaborator

Okay, thanks for changing the status to "Future consideration"! So this also means it isn't already implemented in Inventor 2018 and won't be in Inventor 2019? Can't wait for it to be implemented as our customers repeatedly comment on our strange looking exploded views for the last 10 years.

ShayaGhanbar
Advocate

It would have been nice if this feature was implemented in Inventor!

Our clients have asked me multiple times if it is possible to show welds in a presentation file.

erikjanR42TZ
Enthusiast

Any news? I have drawing showing 2 welded subassemblies bolted together and the exploded view which part goes where.

Assembled shows the welds. The exploded view does not. I cannot convince anybody here that this is not MY fault...

miechh
Collaborator

If anyone with Inventor 2019 can confirm this is still missing...

erikjanR42TZ
Enthusiast
I can confirm that Inventor 2019 still does not show welds in presentation....
luken
Contributor

It's sad that it hasn't been implemented in the 2019 release.

Does anybody know of anyone that actually agrees with Autodesk's stance on this? What are the reasons? I cannot think of any reason not to show a weld in a Presentation file...

There is a work-around: if your weldment is a simple assembly, then create a new ipt file. Start the Derive part process and select the welded assembly (weldment). During the importation, remove the components that aren't welds from the source assembly file and import with source textures checked. Then remove the link to the base component. Then verify that the weld(s) have the same origin point as the assembly file (they should automatically). If not, use Move Body to correction the relative location. Finally insert this new ipt file into the assembly and ground to origin. Because the 'weld' isn't a weld, merely an ipt file, it will show up in the Presentation file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report